cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
1seamus
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post

Solved!

HP6520 will print but won't scan

HP Recommended

Return from vacation shutdown and now desktop and scanner will not recognize each other.  Printing from desktop is working as new.  Tried HP print & scan doctor with no joy.  Tried downloading new driver; again no joy.  Re-established wireless connection (which was working fine) and still no joy.  Need new bright ideas please.

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
HevnLgh
Retired
Retired
7,878 7,777 398 989
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello 1seamus,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are not able to scan using your HP Photosmart 6520. To better assist you can you please let me know the following:

1.  What is you current Windows Operating system?

2.  How are you attempting the scan, using the HP software or from the front panel of the PS 6520?

3.  What error messages if any are you getting?

I will watch for your reply so we can begin troubleshooting.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tags (1)
1seamus
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for interest.  OS is Windows 7 home premium on a fully wireless network using a router supplied by Comcast as part of my ISP subscritpion.  Everything worked before we went on vacation and I unplugged everything for 2+ weeks.  Initial problem was when I attempted to activate a scan from the desktop I got the message "The HP Photosmart Series was not found".  I tried using a restore point in W7 hoping that what ever was lost could be recovered.  That did not help.

I have always been and still can print from the computer.  I contacted HP tech support and in two sessions Uri and Vallen took remote control of my computer and tried to reinstall the HP programming.  Neither was successful.  Toward the end of the attempts they had me connect the printer to the computer using a USB cable which is still in place.  I find I can scan to email which is a messy way to do things but it works.  Scan to computer via the printer scan button shill produces the same error message.

Now the problem has become worse in that I can no longer remove a program from the control panel.  It just sits there and spins forever.  Also, there is now no response to trying other restore points.  I suspect now the basic OS has been compromized and I will have to hire outside help to repair the OS before progress can be made on the print/scan problems.

If you can think of another option, please let me know.

0 Kudos
HevnLgh
Retired
Retired
7,878 7,777 398 989
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1seamus,

I appreciate the updated information, before you take the computer in to get looked at I would like you to continue here: Windows: 'Device Setup Failed to Complete' or 'Unknown Device' Message Displays on the Computer Duri...

Let me know if there is any change.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
1seamus
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I went through the suggested steps at the recommended web site, one step was to uninstall all HP progams so I could start fresh.  My computer will not uninstall the "HP Photosmart 6520 series Basic Device Software".  It just sits there for 20 minutes with no result.  That is part of the reason I think my basic OS is corrupted.

0 Kudos
HevnLgh
Retired
Retired
7,878 7,777 398 989
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1seamus,

I think you may be right, but would like you to try a few things first:

1. Please run MsFixIt, this is a great tool, that will try to find and fix problems with installing/uninstalling software.

2. Now I would like you to run the System File Checker- It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Let me know the findings. I appreciate the continued efforts!

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

1seamus
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now have run MSFixit.  It presented many routines to work on diferent aspects but I did not find one that seemed specific to my problem.  I ran the first six of the routines and one found a problem with my trash bin and the others found nothing.

This AM I ran System File Checker for the second time.  This time it said NO INTEGRITY VIOLATIONS.  The first try yesterday had several hundred "errors" and I could not make any sense of that but today seems OK.

This AM I was also able to successfully run a system back-up to my Western Digital hard drive.  That failed yesterday.  The only finding on today's B/U was that about 20 "fbwuser" files could not be copied.  An internet search suggests these files are of no value to me.

The HP6520 will still print from a desktop command and will scan to email, both using my wireless connection.  However scan to computer using the printer button ha no response and I have lost the scanner icon that used to reside in my taskbar.

What do you suggest next?  And, by the way, thanks for the time and effort you have exerted trying to help me.

For some reason my first try to post this message was rejected due to "invalid HTML"  I have never seen that before and the corrected message appears unchanged.  Curious.

0 Kudos
1seamus
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Further to my report of accomplished tests I remember that somewhere during my searching and exploring I found a listing tht showed I had about 12 copies of HP6520 software.  I believe I found this as I was looking at users.  Could this be part of my problem?

0 Kudos
HevnLgh
Retired
Retired
7,878 7,777 398 989
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1seamus,

Thank you so much for your patience. I would like you to go to your Start Menu, go to All Programs and select your HP folder please try and use the Uninstall option there.

Does this remove the software?

As for the questions you have asked, did you try removing some of the software, or does it still spin in the control panel?

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

1seamus
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'M currenly in involved in a chat session with Perry in tech support. He is retracting some of the steps I had done with hour help. I will update you when he's done.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation