Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP7612
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP7612 had been working with no problems. Utility sag caused multiple printer reboots. Printer then tried to boot and reports "Ink System Failure - There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists contact HP". After hitting OK, I get a "Missing or failed printhead - The printhead appears to be missing or not detected, or incorrectly installed". I tried a hard reboot, and different ink cartridges without help.

From the HP Printer Assistant, Maintain Your Printer, Printhead Health, Health = Bad. 

HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.0 reports no problems with the scanner and only the printhead problem with the printer.

How do I do a factory reset, or get it to find the printhead?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Sam124

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand your printer is getting an error on display - "Ink System Failure",

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you reset the printer or is that what you mean by Hard reboot?

Or Upgrade the firmware? As this would normally fix the issue.

That said, here're a few other things you can do,

please try the steps precisely as mentioned below:

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, Clean the cartridges using the below steps:

Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts, and then reinstalling the ink cartridges one at a time can help determine if a specific ink cartridge is causing the error message.

1. Gather the following materials:

• A clean, lint-free cloth

• A clean, dry cotton swab

• Distilled or bottled water

CAUTION:

Do not use tap water because it might contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water.

3. Gently wipe the copper-colored contact on one of the ink cartridges.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

I'm afraid this printer doesn't have a factory reset option as off now,

Please Upgrade the firmware using this website: Click here

And Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've only used HP ink, rebooted, reseated and cleaned the cartridges, and Print and Scan Doctor says the firmware is ok.

Still reports bad printhead.

HP Recommended

@Sam124

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

In that case, I'm afraid this is a hardware malfunction and I would request you to Contact HP to get the print head either repair or replaced:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.