Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
5740 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Scanning a legal paper through document feeder, scanning hung.

Reloaded drivers, firmware, HP Soloutions.

After solutions states scanning is working, press "Test Scan",

with report, "HPScan has stopped working."

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Not sure if the ADF supports legal size scanning. (could be the reason why it hung)

Have you tried to power cycle the printer AND computer and does the HP Scan worked?

For Legal size scaning, you may want to use the Flatbed.

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

The scan dialog when working, had a dialog for 14" scans through the ADF.

On the flat bed, even 11" won't scan even when using the touch screen on the printer.

I'll shut down and try again, loosing the HP surveys probably.

HP Recommended

Hi @Baldwin1807,

For using the touch screen to scan the Legal size, the settings are DEPENDENT on the last saved/known settings on the software.

This video example will better explain what we're saying;

How to use "Scan to Computer" feature properly

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

The touch screen on the printer scans to a USB drive.

The touch screen on the printer scans to Windows Fax and Scan application on the computer on one of two names for the same computer available for scanning on the printer touch screen.

The touch screen on the printer when scanning to the other of the two names for the same computer, the pop-up on the computer screen reports "The HP Scan application encountered an internal error.   The touch screen on the printer reports the scan application on the computer is in use. 

How to make the HP Scan Dialog work rather than the Windows and Fax application which appears to interfere with the Hp application?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you downloaded and installed the FULL feature software?

If not, the following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

Here's more scanning tips:

Scanning for Dummies

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Yes, full software, ver. 40.11, released Feb. 17, 2017, for  Windows 10 (64-bit).

HP Scan Dialog and MS ver. 1607 Windows Fax and Scan are in conflict, I think.

HP Recommended

HPScan.exe now works, February 24, 2017.  Solution might have been to turn on the printer, USB connected, when the HP full software package installation requested it.   Windows 10 apparently made Windows Fax and Scan the the app for scanning if the computer was turned on after HP printer software had been removed prior to re-install and printer was on when the compter was turned on before HP software was re-installed.

HP Recommended

In other words, HP software sucks. They hire developers that don't know what they are doing, don't write unit tests and generally don't care about the quality of their software. No more HP printers/scanners for me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.