Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 E709n
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I already tried HP easy scan app, neither the installed driver or the app will recognize my legal-sized contracts in the feeder.  the default in "printer and scanner preferences" is set to legal, but when you press scan it always cuts off the bottom - the only 2 sizes offered there are A4 or letter.  Please help!  (removed content) Meredith

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@MeredithOffice

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that your HP Officejet 6500 printer feeder does not pick legal size pages. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

• Adjust the paper size setting.
  • Reset the printer.
  • Update the driver.
  • Check the paper source setting.
  • Update the firmware.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps mentioned above to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK did all that - still not offering me the option to change the size in the preferences once I Open Scanner.  Only A4 and Letter.  Why did it do it with the PC (had previously) and not the Mac (brand new)?  It's the same printer.  

HP Recommended

@MeredithOffice

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your effort on doing all troubleshooting steps.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• You need to create a 'form' for the paper size to display as an available size selection.

How to Create Paper Size in Windows:

• Click Start and then click Devices and Printers.
  • Click the printer icon for your printer, and then click Print server properties at the top of the window.
  • On the Forms tab, select the Create a new form check box.
  • In the Form name text box, type a name for the new paper size.
  • In the Form description section, select Metric or English.
  • In the Height and Width text boxes, type the height and width for your custom paper.
  • Leave the Printer area margins set at 0.00.
  • Click Save Form, and then click Close.

Now you should be able to find legal size, whatever you named it under the forms setup.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please refer to the subject line:  I have a an IMAC, not a PC.  You sent me instructions for creating a form on a PC.  Totally different!  

HP Recommended

@MeredithOffice

Thanks for the reply.

Click here and follow the steps under create custom paper size on a mac.

Please let me know if this helps and if it does, please mark this post as an “Accepted  Solution”.

Kudos would also be appreciated greatly for my efforts to help.

You could simply click the “Thumbs Up” Button.

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead!

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did what you said, in MS Word but it makes no difference in my scanner preferences.  

Have iMac, has macOS Sierra V10.12.13, won't scan legal size in feeder of HP Officejet 6500 E709

Your solution was if I wanted to PRINT something in legal, not SCAN something in legal.  

Again I need to Scan a legal size page and it needs to recognize the size as legal.  There is no option in SIZE when you open up the scanner to make it legal - only A4 or letter is listed.  

Please get me a Mac expert to help with your printer.

HP Recommended

@MeredithOffice

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I request you to contact HP phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Give me the number please - it's not accepting my Product Number on the back of my printer.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.