cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AnHPcustomer Tutor
Tutor
12 7 0 1
Message 11 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

How do I clean the head on DeskJet 1000

That's an excellent point, newage, about the unintuitiveness of the menu.

Secondly, the user manual has a problem.  

A few days ago, a non-computer savvy relative asked me to help solve the 'printing horizontal lines' problem. 

I am a few thousand miles from my relative, so I was trying to help over the phone.

My relative could not find the 'Printer software', because it was not installed.   I thought that my relative was mistaken.  After all, 'Printer software' sounds like something that must be installed in order for the printer to work, which of course is not the case.

We went round and round for about an hour, looking for software that was not installed.   We were stymied until I found this forum discussion.

Many, if not most, customers are going to assume the printer is plug-and-play and install it.   A typical user will only read the 55 pages (46 + 9) pages of user documentation if they have problems during install or operation.   So, many users will not have 'Printer software' installed at the time when they need to clearn the cartridge head.

So, where the manual says, "In the Printer Software, click Printer Actions and then click Maintenance Tasks to access the Printer Toolbox." , the tech writer should ideally assume that the printer software is not installed and suggest something like, "If you see no 'program files\HP' folder, then your Printer software is not installed.  You can install Printer software by using the CD/DVD that came with the printer, as follows....or ......"

The simple addition of two sentences to the user manual would save many customers from tearing their hair out.

Is there a way to get word back to the tech writers?   Having worked as an HP employee in the past, I know that the tech writers would love to have real-world feedback of this sort.

Thanks.

P.S. Does anyone besides me get a pop-up on this forum, "A username and passworde are being requested by http://wnymodelphotography.com"?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation