Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 3 (3,497 Views)

How do I print to file?

Color LaserJet CP1215

Windows XP SP2

If I print from a Print dialog window, I see a checkbox for "Print to file". If I select the checkbox, whatever application from which I am trying to print hangs. I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the Windows Task Manager to terminate the application.

My wife's PC (Windows 98) can print to a file, creating .prn files. I have an application (PrintFile by Peter Lerup at [http://www.lerup.com/printfile/] that will print a .prn file. This is important because, although my wife's PC is networked to mine, there is no CP1215 driver for Windows 98. Thus, I print the .prn files she sends me over our LAN.

However, I would like to use "Print to file" on my own PC for occasional test purposes. This doesn't have to be .prn files; it can be with other file-types.

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 3 (3,459 Views)

Re: How do I print to file?

Besides posting this question here, I also researched the issue at [news://msnews.microsoft.com:119/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general], including posting a similar question there. The conclusion is that the problem lies within the HP Color LaserJet CP1215 driver, that the driver does not support "Print to file".

I solved the problem myself -- without any outside advice -- by installing an older print driver from the built-in inventory of drivers within Windows XP.

I'm a bit disappointed that, nearly a week after posting the original question, I got no responses at all. It's too late now. Forget it!

Top Student
Message 3 of 3 (2,321 Views)

Re: How do I print to file?

Last year I printed a document to a PRN file on my Officejet 6500 wall-in-one printer.

Now I want paper output.  I have tryed using the "copy" command in DOS. How do I do this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation