cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sestorka
Level 2
16 10 0 1
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

How to change default paper size to A4 on Photosmart C309g

HP Recommended

Printer is Photosmart C309g.

How do I change the default printer size to A4?  That is. once and for all for all the pre-defined printing operations, e.g. everyday printing, rather than having to set it each time or create a new one. I NEVER use Letter size but I can't delete those settings with Letter - so how can I do that?

11 REPLIES 11
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,408 1,425 4,897
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What operating system?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
sestorka
Author
Level 2
16 10 0 1
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows XP mainly, but could, alternatively, be attached to an Vista system

PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, to set the global defaults, close all programs and go to Start > Control Panel > Printers.  Right-click the printer and select "Printing Properties" and set the paper size there.

I am employed by HP

sestorka
Author
Level 2
16 10 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried that route but it always ends up with the list of differenc settings in the Printing Solution Center.  Changing any of the predefined ones doesn't stick.  Look at the next set, and then back to the first - the paper size has reset.

On the properties page there are no entries in the Paper Available field.  On another PC with two printers, one printer has just A4 listed and the other has the full list provided by the driver/preferences interface.

PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What happens if you use something other than the Printing Solution Center (like File > Print from any program)?

This also may help.

I am employed by HP

sestorka
Author
Level 2
16 10 0 1
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It can be changed there, but you have to do it every time.  I want to change the default.

I doubt whether the diagnostic program will be useful as the printer does work OK, it is just that the user interface was designed or written by someone with half a brain.

CityBeekeeper
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm so disappointed with this part of the product.

I'm using xp pro and have tried to re set the size to A4 with no success.

I've gone into the printer properties from Settings->Printers etc drop menu item ->C309g etc -> Properties right mouse menu item -> Advanced tab -> Printing Defaults -> Printing Shortcuts.  OR the printing preferences.

It only allows me to set the default shortcut along with a paper size for that shortcut only.  I NEED to reset the default paper size for ALL standard documents from Letter to A4.  Is this possible anywhere?

Thanks,

Gregory.

sestorka
Author
Level 2
16 10 0 1
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All I have been able to do is define a new set of my own.  At least they don't get deleted or changed back.

The design of this product is a prime example of a small parochial mind at work that cannot conceive of anything outside its little narrow world.

SpawnyWhippet
Level 1
9 8 0 4
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the plus side however, this problem is not limited to the C309, it exists on most of the current fleet of HP printers. I have found and changed every possible setting on my OS side from Letter to A4, all the programmes from Office to Photoshop are A4 and metric, the Windows regional settings are English (Australia) and Metric, I have changed every possible printer setting in the driver and printer mangement software, BUT STILL IT DEFAULTS TO LETTER!!!!! I have never even seen Letter sized paper in my 40 years on this planet.

How dumb is this software???

Tags (1)
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation