Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I change the default / permanent WiFi channel the printer uses to broadcast for wireless printing??

It currently always changes to the same one as my router.

Photosmart 7520

Windows 7

Very technically capable.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

You can't.  The router sets the channel and the printer only connects to the router using whatever channel it is broadcasting on.  Don't worry about the printer crowding the broadcast channel it's only your neighbours routers on the same channels as you that you need woory about.  And to be honest if you managed to change your printer's channel to a different one from the router then it wouldn't be able to connect to your network anymore anyway.

Chris

Officejet Pro 8610
Windows 7
HP Recommended

In my experience, this is not true. When you have the router right by the printer with the direct WiFi AirPrint on as well as a WiFi network set up, it does cause significant interference. I've always had better WiFi reception by changing the router channel (briefly) or disabling the AirPrint altogether, since I can print over WiFi network from my phone anyway.

HP Recommended

@Silarn wrote:

. When you have the router right by the printer with the direct WiFi AirPrint on as well as a WiFi network set up, it does cause significant interference.

That's why you should never have any wireless devices within about 3-5 feet of your wireless router. 

HP Recommended

I have the very same problem.

the printer follows the router's control channel, and clearly interferes with it.

Is there any solution for this problem???

HP Recommended

@gideonyuval wrote:

I have the very same problem.

the printer follows the router's control channel, and clearly interferes with it.

That is correct.  It is supposed to.  Whatever the routers 2.4Ghz channel is, the wireless printer will automatically switch to that channel to keep connected.

HP Recommended

But if it just wants to stay connected, why does it transmit a control channel? my phone also wants to stay connected to the router, but it doesn't transmit such a channel.

HP Recommended

Your printer is connected to your routers SSID with password right?  Do you have Wireless Direct enabled in the printer too?

HP Recommended

I don't think so. There is no such option there. Just need to enter the router credentials to connect the printer.

HP Recommended

Much of the above discussion has misunderstood DinnoNucci's question, which was asking about the printer's broadcast channel; not the Router's broadcast channel.  This is the Wireless Direct feature.  

I want to change the Wireless Direct channel to be different from my Router's broadcast channel, so that the two do not interfere.  Is there a way to change the printer's Wireless Direct channel to a user-selected value?  My router is broadcasting on channel 11; I want to set the prtiner to broadcast on channel 6.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.