Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There is no box to tick "two sided printing" next to the "copies" option when printing from a word document. When printing from Safari the "two sided printing " works.

iMac with 10.6 and have already reinstalled the printer driver and updates

I have already posted on the Print problems board with no solution therefore posting on the MAC specific board.

Regards

Manorhouse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Manorhouse,

From Word, click the File menu, then select Print.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the blue triangle next to the product model to see all available settings.

Click the lowest selection box - Copies & Pages

Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

Set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding (Portrait), or Short-Edge binding (landscape).

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi Manorhouse,

From Word, click the File menu, then select Print.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the blue triangle next to the product model to see all available settings.

Click the lowest selection box - Copies & Pages

Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

Set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding (Portrait), or Short-Edge binding (landscape).

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Thanks, this has been frustrating me since I bought the printer.
HP Recommended

what about in word 2013 on windows 8 the options aren't the same?

HP Recommended

Hi emesdg,

I'm sorry you are having the same issue.  I have included a link to a YouTube video by Robert McMillen that shows you how to get the two-sided printing.

YouTube Video by Robert McMillen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6iFu1fAiM

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have a HP 6500 e709n that has the duplexer, using Word:2011 for Mac.  There is no option to print double sided even after verifying everything suggested.  The option DOES exist in Adobe Pro XI, therefore I assume it must be a MS Word issue.  However, I could be wrong.

I have watched the video and followed all of the instructions listed here, but no joy.  It took nearly a month to track down why the printer wouldn't print at all, but this is getting to be flat out ridiculous.

HP Recommended

Hi magid_1

Let's click on the Apple icon, open System Preferences, and select Print and Scan. In the Print and Scan, Click on the printer so that it is highlighted, and click the minus symbol below, this will delete the printer but not the software. Click on the plus symbol and select 'add another printer or scanner'. When you click on your printer you will see it populate below and next to 'Use' it will likely say 'Airprint', click on Airprint and change it to the Photosmart driver then click add.

Now try look at the print dialog box in the program you are printing from and it should look different. You will see more options including the two sided printing.

Unlike the preinstalled Mac programs, the two sided printing options is hidden within the settings of the Word program. If you open the print dialog box and Click the lowest selection box - Copies & Pages, Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

If you still can not see the 2 sided option please post a screenshot if what the print dialog looks like. ( How to post a screenshot )

Looking forward to hearing form you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Wow.  Your directions took me back to square one.  Apple and I worked very hard to get the Mac hooked to the printer; we had to install the software via USB and then do multiple test prints in order to get the printer working.

Your directions removed the printer from the system completely; so, I am now going to have to go through the hours of setting up the printer AGAIN.

Its clearly the printer and not the computer: the printer does not hold its connection to my wireless router, and loses its connection anytime I have a powerblip, despite the printer being plugged in to a surge protector.  

The printer would print duplex from other programs, but not from Microsoft Word.  ALL I needed was help in determing why the printer would accept a command to duplex from Adobe Pro XI, and other programs, but not from Microsoft Office software.

HP Recommended

HI magid_1,

I intended to remove the printer with the instructions above, "this will delete the printer but not the software". The intention was to get a fresh driver in order to resolve the issue. If you can not add the printer then you are experiencing a communication issue. 

I recommend you connect directly to a wall outlet rather than using a surge protector. Here are a few examples of problems that can be caused from using a surge protector.

• Inexplicable or false error messages
  • Printer will not "wake up" from sleep mode
  • Printer appears to be DOA
  • Incorrect printout
  • Slower than normal printing
  • The printer control panel display is blank or shows garbled characters
  • Accessories, such as attached copier/scanners, do not function properly

For additional information please click here and take a look at this post. > Using surge protectors.

If you would like additional information or instructions please post back with exactly what is happening, what version of the operating system you have and weather your preference is to have the printer connected with USB or wireless.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Your directions removed the printer AND its software completely.  I believe I said I'm back at step 1 for having to completely reinstall the printer software in order for the computer to even find the printer.  The driver has been downloaded directly from HP more than 5 times in the last 4 weeks with no positive outcome.  

As for the issues you describe below, those are not among the issues the printer has.  The only issue the printer has is that anytime there was a power blip, for any reason, the printer will lose all of its settings.  Plugging it in via a surge protector has largely elimintated those issues, at least as long as its connected to a Windows machine. 

I've provided the other information in the original message, but let's try again:

HP e709n OfficeJet 6500 printer

Mac OS X (Mavericks; although the printer did not work prior to Mavericks either---prior to Mavericks I was only able to download the driver one time)

The printer should work wirelessly (otherwise, I have to drag the laptop to the printer everytime I want to print)

The ONLY thing that was wrong with the printer by the time I followed your directions was that it wouldn't print duplex from within MS Office programs; it would print duplex from within Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.  Now, however, the printer is back to saying its downloading and installing the software, but it doesn't actually work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.