Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We purchased this HP LaserJet pro MFP M277dw printer about a year ago and it worked well... until about 6 months ago when it automatically upgraded the firmware. (I could see it doing it on its touch screen.) It seems like after that the issues began. It now prints color lines when printing B&W pages and color prints degrade colors over time. (Note that I'm not looking to resolve these issues here -- I've tried already and failed to find a solution. Additionally, cleaning printing heads DOES NOT resolve it.)

So I was wondering, how do I downgrade firmware on this printer to what it used to be around March of 2016? And also how do I disable any automatic firmware upgrades after that?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may downgrade the firmware by following the utility below to restore firmware version 20150716:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL62137/kj-149900-2/M277_MFP_Series_FW_Update-20150716.exe

Once you are done tap the Setup icon and select Syustem Setup, there look for HP Laserjet Update settings and disable the auto update.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you. I will try that & if it works I'll mark it as a solution.

HP Recommended

A quick follow-up. The downgrade went thru w/o an issue. But it didn't resolve my original problem.

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to see which firmware is in the printer right now?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Tap Setup and then Reports, select Printer Status Report and the firmware datecode will be listed within the Printer Information section

If you cannot print open the HP Toolbox software from your computer, open the Tools tab and the current firmware version will be listed there..

HP Recommended

Thanks. I couldn't find that specific menu item in the Settings, so I printed all that applied. Please take a look. (It also shows how B&W pages are coming out, by the way, the reason I wanted to downgrade -- maybe it will tell you why it's doing this)

Page 1:

j1.jpg

Page 2:

j2.jpg

Page 3:

j3.jpg

Page 4:

j4.jpg

Page 5:

j5.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

From seeing the Configuraton report I can see the firmware has downgraded, the listed firmware datecode match the earlier firmware, version 20150716.

As I can see all the color strips are yellow, am I correct?

Please try removing the Yellow toner cartridge, shake it a bit carefully and put it back in place, then check for any difference.

If the same persists I suggest taking the yellow toner back to the point of purchase and send it to HP, a faulty toner will be replaced as part ot its limited warranty..

If the same persist with a replacement toner it will require servicing the printer (for free if it is under warranty or with a fee.)

HP Recommended

I tried shaking up the yellow cartidge. It didn't help.

Just to let you know, it's not just yellow though. Here's the B&W spam fax (top part) that we just received:

j1.jpg

As you see there's little bit of pink too. Sometimes green.

We were blaming the toner originally. We then got a new set of all cartridges. It first worked fine, but then the problem slowly re-appeared again.

Both times we got it from Amazon. Here's the first purchase:

1.jpg

and here's the second one:

2.jpg

It appeared like a genuine set of toners from HP. But now when I click the link it shows that both listings are down.

Here's the seller's page:

3.jpg

So what do you recommend we do now? because this printer is unusable.

HP Recommended

Please go to Setup > Reports > Supply Status Report from teh pritner screen.

Can you scan the printed report and attach it below? it may help getting some better understanding.

Is the printer under its warranty period (1 year) or out of warranty?

HP Recommended

Haha. I guess not. Amazon page says, "Ordered on March 21, 2016 "

Here's the scan you requested:

1.jpg

Btw, thanks for sticking with it!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.