Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620 e-AIO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, I wonder if anybody can help me with this, as I haven't found any info in the product support options ...

I've just checked the technical specs for my relatively new printer (bought about 3 weeks ago), and on HP's product page, it says that the scan resolution of said model should be up to a max. of 1200x1200 dpi.

However, in the scan window, there's no selection above 300 dpi possible anywhere. I've tried all kinds of different scenarios, eg. scan colour photo to jpeg/pdf, colour doc to jpeg/pdf, but in any of the selected options, the highest I can go is 300 dpi. File size is not an issue, this is about quality of the scanned document, and at the moment, I'm not happy with the results I'm getting at 300 dpi. I've played with additional options, such as Brightness/Contrast, but that's not giving me the desired results either. And besides, it's about prinicple - if it states a higher resolution, where is it?

I'm attaching a screenshot, if that's of any help. Shouldn't I see more dpi options in the drop-down menu, ie. 600 dpi, 1200 dpi?

I'll be really grateful for any insight you might have on this issue! Many thanks in advance.

Conniehp-scan.png

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@teutonica 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue. Please advise.

HP Recommended

Did you receive an answer?

HP Recommended

Hi, well, uh, the issue hasn't been sorted out yet, but that's because I've been too busy to deal with it. HP support were great, they've been on the case ever since someone here on the board brought my issue to their attention, it's just that I haven't been able to get back and work with them on it.

Your best bet is probably to contact the support team directly.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I've done an internet search, and it seems to be a widespread problem. I'm also super busy. Before I invest a lot of time into troubleshooting, we'll see if I get a response. The first thing I'll try (when I have time) is to reinstall the driver software from the website - I used the CD that came with the printer. Thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

Hello chrissybea,

I see that you are having an issue as well when attempting to increase the scan resolution.

So I can better assist you, please respond with which Operating System you are running:
Which Windows Operating System am I running?
Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

Write me back when you have time and I will do my best to assist you.

Cheers,   Smiley Happy

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Same here - super busy, and on top of that I had a dental emergency, so the printer issue moved at the bottom of my to-do pile. (I'm now using an old flatbed scanner that still delivers fantastic scans despite its age of 8 years!) BTW, I used the latest drivers from the HP website when I first set up the printer, and didn't use the CD at all. Still, looks like it didn't make a difference. 

Re-installing everything might just do the trick? I keep getting an error message anyway advising me to re-install the printer software because the automatic update can't be accessed. OTOH, I've been meaning to do a fresh re-install of the the Windows OS for weeks, which is why I don't want to spend so much time on the printer now when I'll have to deal with it again soon, but then, going back to the beginning, I'm too busy for that too!

Thankfully, I've taken out the HP promotion that extends the warranty to 3 years, so that gives me bit more time to deal with it :Wink:

HP Recommended

I'm using Windows 7 Pro.

HP Recommended

Hello,

greetings from Germany. :generic:

This is a limitation for ADF-scanning. If you use the ADF (Document Feeder), you can't choose more than 300 dpi.

This button is the key:

ADF.png

If you choose the other option of this button "Always Scan From Glass", you can use higher dpi (up to 1200dpi).

Kind regards,

Maik :generic:

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the "Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say "Thanks" for helping!
I work on behalf of HP - in Germany :generic:
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.