Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi craigbaker1

I have read through your posts and would like help. I suggest first testing the hardware, let's print a self test report. If the page prints then the hardware is fine and we should be able to print from the computer, but if it doesn't then there is a hardware issue.

Printing a self-test report

1. Turn the printer on.
  2. Press and hold the Resume button (  ) until the printer starts printing.
  3. Release the Resume button (  ).

Please let me know if this page prints and we can look at what else could be causing the issue in order to resolve it. If the page does not print, it may be time to get a newer printer. You could consider calling HP, they often times offer a discount for a newer model for those who have an out of warranty HP printer.

To contact HP from Canada or the US us 1-800-474-6836 or Contact HP Worldwide.

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi

The resume button to test print does not print anything out so I well buy a new printer  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

not working

HP Recommended

Hello

I now have HP Photosmart 5520. There is only 1 button for power & no other button at all. Is there any thing I can do instead of the resume button?

The touchscreen has buttons which I can press, but it is blank, & I have a voltimeter which I don,t know how to use it.

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Hi

I found out that pulling just 1 cable out of the printer & replugging at a time followed by the other likewise, it solved the problem because there was an improper shut down.

Thanks

HP Recommended

This is the first time I have posted a question on a forum but I was at a loss as to what to do.  Thank you so much - I really appreciate your help - I can finally print again 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I followed the instructions for the hand reset to the letter.  The printer repowered but "improper shutdown" displayed and also I now have a carrage jam which was not the case previously.  The message also instructs me to use the "On" button to shut down the printer but I assume this means as opposed to unplugging it in the first place.  By the way, it has always been plugged directly into a wall outlet.

I tried the video instructions displayed on the printer to clear the jam but the ink cardridges are firmly locked on the right side and cannot be moved.  The video made it look like they easily slide to the left but this is not the case. I will now try the instructions given for a carriage jam located on the  HP site and hope for success.  If this does not work, is the next step to take the printer to a repair shop?  I seem to be making things worse.

HP Recommended

I am NEVER buying another HP!

The hard reset does not solve the problem - I still cannot print from my computer.  For a while turning the computer off and on again (every time I wanted to print) worked.  Now after trying the hard reset, there is no reaction whatsoever - not even the annoying error state message - and when I go to troubleshooting it tells me the printer is turned off, even though it is on and I can photocopy.

I was a loyal HP customer for years - no more.

HP Recommended

Hi

Better answers & solutions to your problems will come from HP support workers or representatives with more experience, not just interns or less. One of my problems was answered by such a person. The new HP printer I bought works perfectly.

sincerely

Craig Baker

HP Recommended

I'm glad someone said it!!. They've sent me 3 replacement printers for this same model so Ive had a total of 4  since last january this one made it just past the 3 month replacement warranty period before it gave me issues. HP customer service doesnt care even though i spent money on thier products. Next printer purchase is an Epson. I cant take the headaches any more!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.