Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet MFP M277dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I need to get the auto-off function disabled, to be able to send messages to my printer when I'm away from office, but the auto-off options are only 2, 4 or 8 hours, even if the text in the auto-off menu says that "if you are using the Shut Down feature, the printer will not be able to print any documents......after the printer has turned off".

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

There are 2 separate options available to configure the Printer Energy Saving Settings as also described at the following HP web document:  http://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c04636484.

I understand that the device will wake up automatically upon receipt of job/command while it is in sleep/auto off mode feature is activated, but not when device is shut down.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

The link you sent is probably an old one, because the page is not found! Yes, the wake up works as long as the auto mode is activated, but after 8 hours (or 2 or 4 which are the other options), the printer will shut down (which happens during the night), and after that you need to physically turn it on again. So I need to get the auto-off function completely shut off in some way, so that the printer will stay on all the time (on or in sleep mode, but definitely not off).

HP Recommended

The web link also provides information about 'Delay Shutdown' option, which you may check if suitable:  http://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c04636484

I do not feel that there is any option available to disable the energy saving options.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Yes, exactly, that's the problem - you HAVE to use the Shut Down feature, and can choose only 2, 4 or 8 hours until shut down, even if the text in the instructions says "IF you are using the Shut Down feature.....".

HP Recommended

I am faced with this same issue.

2, 4, 8 hrs are your only options.  Why is HP not letting the consumer choose if the printer turns off.  I don't mind it going to sleep and waking up when I send something to it but having it turn completely off is just dumb give me the ability to do this or I'm going to be forced to return the printer.

I'm hopeful you will reply that a firmware update will allow me to disable auto-off 

HP Recommended

to everyone reading this post, i was in contact with the technical team of HP and they said that they dont give you the option to disable auto-shutdown on purpose, it is HPs energy-saving-politics to do so and there are no plans to change that in the future
in my case i have only WLAN going, yet it doesnt automatically shutdown (even though it should), i  guess im lucky that my router pings it every now and then and therefore it doesnt shutdown
if you cant fix it yourself with active ports and cant have it at all, there probably wont be any option left than returning the printer

HP Recommended

Hi,

Want to share  Energy Settings Overview:

HP LaserJet devices are equipped with energy settings that allow users to adjust Sleep/Auto Off Inactivity time and the Shut Down After Inactivity time.

Control Panel Menu Path

System Setup ->Energy Settings

Sleep/Auto Off After

• 1 minute
  • 5 minute
  • 15 minute (default)
  • 30 minute
  • 1 hour

Shut Down After

• 2 hour
  • 4 hour (default)
  • 8 hour

Delay Shutdown

• No Delay
  • When Ports are Active

What Does Delay When Ports are Active Mean?

Delay when ports are active, means that the “Shut down after inactivity timer” will not be attained if the device detects an active port(s).

What is an Active Port?

An "Active Port" is defined as:

• Ethernet: Cable plugged into the device and link detected by Ethernet PHY.
  • Wireless: Associated with a network or Wi-Fi Direct Enabled (default) or in auto wireless connect mode (2 hour time period from initial power-on out of box).
  • USB: Cable plugged into the device and connected to host (as determined by the USB hardware)
  • Fax: Phone cable connected and a nominal voltage present (indicates connected to phone line)

If “Delay when ports are active” is selected (which is the default setting) the device will never completely shut off.

The one exception is if the device is connected via only USB. If the host PC goes into sleep mode, or the user undocks a laptop, or powers down a desktop/laptop then the USB port becomes inactive and the device will completely shut down when the timer is reached.

Hope this helps

If my post resolved your problem,  please mark it as "Accepted as Solution"

+++++Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post++++++

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue .
HP Recommended

You can post about the energy savings features all you want they don't work.

When using the printer with a wireless connection and having a phone line plugged in for fax after 8 hours the printer shuts off and you have to power it back on to receive a fax or print.

Also if it loses it's wireless connection the only way to fix that is to power it off and power it back on.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, even with 1) an active ethernet cable and 2) an analog fax line attached, and 3) the Delay when ports are active box checked, my printer still shuts down.  Pls update firmware to allow the printer to sleep but not shutdown.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.