Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp laserjet M4345 mfp
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have recently bought a used printer. I have tried cold reset and nvram reset. Upon resetting the printer it requires admin password. I would like to reset this printer to factory settings please provide step by step solution.
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Either you did not do the NVRAM reset correctly or the printer is still connected to the same network where the password was established. When a network administrator assigns a password using HP software the MAC address of the printer is asscociated with the password so everytime the printer is talking to the network the network tells the printer it has a password. If you do the reset correctly there should no longer be a password for the printer.

HP Recommended
Thanks for your reply. Please peovide step by step instructions for cold reset and nvrram reset. The ones i found on google are not working for me. After I switch on printer I need to wait for the memory to load ???
Ive tried holding 9 for cold reset and 6 for nvram reset right after switching on printer but it prompts for password.
HP Recommended

To perform an NVRAM initialization
1 Turn the MFP off and then on.
2 When the memory count appears on the control-panel display, press and hold 9 until all three
LEDs flash once and then stay on. This might take up to 20 seconds.
3 Press 3 one time, and then press START.
4 Press 3 two times until NVRAM INIT appears on the control-panel display.
5 Press 6 one time, and wait while the MFP completes its initialization sequence.

HP Recommended
Ive tried this procedure but when i press and hold 9 upon starting its asking me for password.how can we reset this password which is blocking me to get into NVRAM RESET.
HP Recommended

Are you waiting for the memory to start counting on the display. If not you have to wait for the memory to count in the upper left of the display and then press and hold the 9 button. If you still have problems and you only have power and no network connection to the printer, then I would think you have other issues. Also how are you turning on the printer. There is a power switch located on the left side which needs to be turned off to turn off power and then turned on and the control pannel will light up and memory will start to count and you need to press the 9 key at that time.

HP Recommended
I have also tried service code 11434504 in service menu and its changed to a different code. Ive also tried the steps you have provided above but its asking me for password. How can I hard reset this device to factory defaults or even flash bios if theres a way. Thanks
HP Recommended

Lets try this one step at a time. When you turn off the printer with the switch on the left side and then turn it back on and the memory starts to count and you press the number 9 button and hold it down do the 3 lights come on solid and stay on?

If the lights come on solid is there any message in the upper left of the display and if there is what is it?

HP Recommended
When I press and hold 9 the 3 lights to the left are solid and it prompts for password. Sometime it ignores the password and moves to step 3/6 resulting in starting the services to initialize the printer.
HP Recommended

If you get to the 3/6 then you either pressed the 9 button to soon or waited to long to press the 3 button. You have to be quick with the responses. When you press the 9 button and all 3 light comes on solid immediately press the 3 button and then immediately press the start button and then immediately press the 3 button twice (you should see NVRAM INT) in the upper left of the control panel and then immediately press the 6 button. If you still get to password issue to be honest I think you are having formatter issues or keypad issues.

You can also try the cold reset below:

To perform a cold reset
1 Turn the MFP off and then on.
2 When the memory count appears on the control-panel display, press and hold 6 until all three
LEDs flash once and then stay on. This might take up to 20 seconds.
3 Press 3 four times until COLD RESET appears on the control-panel display.
4 Press 6 one time. The MFP continues its initialization sequence.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.