Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejetPro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

when i am printing a document and want to stop, i can't do it.  sometimes there is an X visible, but nothing happens when i push it.  sometimes it isn't there.  thanks for any info

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Flaglady65,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that your HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer does not stop printing even after the cancel (X) button is pushed.

This issue could occur if the print spooler is not refreshed.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below:

1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet.

2. Save your work. After using these steps, your current print jobs are lost and will need to be printed again.

3. Open Windows Services using one of the following methods:

• Search Windows for services, and click Services in the list of results.

• On your keyboard, press Windows key ( ) + R, type services.msc in the window that opens, and then click OK.

4. Scroll through the list of services and find the name Print Spooler.

5. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.
  6. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

7. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.

8. Shut down your computer from Windows.

9. Make sure your printer has been unplugged for at least 60 seconds, and then plug the power cord into a power outlet.

10. Turn on the printer using the power button on the printer.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

thanks so much, Rainbow.  i will try that.  have a good weekend

HP Recommended

Hi @Flaglady65,

You are welcome.

I understand that you will try the steps later and get back to us.

Please follow the steps and let us know the results. I also appreciate your time and patience.

You too have a good weekend.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.