Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a officejet 6500A plus all in one fax/printer and have even installed HP Doctor. I keep getting a fax message when I try to print wirelessly. Why is that and how do I fix. I have installed and reinstalled 10 times! I have clicked on wireless to connect, even though my husband has his laptop also connected directly to the HP printer in another room. What am I doing wrong? HP Doctor has not solved this problem. Is there a default to faxing when using this all in one printer/fax? How do I default this to print wirelessly?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

What operating system?  Since you mention using the HP Print and Scan Doctor I assume you must be using a recent version of Windows. When an all-in-one is installed there will typically be a Fax and a Printer as separate devices.  In your case the Fax is set as the default printer.  

Do you ever want to use the Fax?  If not, go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Fax - Officejet 6500 and select Remove Device.  

Whether or not you want to use the Fax you should find the HP Officejet 6500 Series, right click on it and select Set as Default.  This will set the printer as the default.  Some programs keep their own defaults, apart from Windows defaults.   

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This is set as my default printer in the devices and printers already. When I remove and reinstall this (10 times) it always installs as the default printer. I think my ethernet cord is hooked to the laptop of my husband and not the router. I am going to try that next to see if it will print. Windows 7 is my laptop

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.