Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a officejet 6500A plus all in one fax/printer and have even installed HP Doctor. I keep getting a fax message when I try to print wirelessly. Why is that and how do I fix. I have installed and reinstalled 10 times! I have clicked on wireless to connect, even though my husband has his laptop also connected directly to the HP printer in another room. What am I doing wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@original_blue

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer is connected wirelessly and when you try to print, it gives you a fax message You have reinstalled the drivers multiple times and the issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Is the printer able to make a copy?
  • Did you install the drivers from the disk or the HP website?
  • What operating system are you using?

Meanwhile, I did some research and recommend you to perform the following steps to fix the issue:

• Please search and open "devices and printers." 
  • In the devices and printers window, there might be more than one HP Officejet 6500A Plus printer. Please ensure that you have not set the Fax-HP Officejet 6500A Plus printer as the default printer. The Fax prefix should not be there. 
  • In case the Fax-HP Officejet 6500A Plus is set as the default printer, right click on the plain HP Officejet 6500A Plus printer and set it as the default printer.
  • Please try to print.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have don't see the icon for the plan 6500A Plus printer. You are right, the fax 6500A plus was the default for printer and hence the fax pop up box. Why do I not get a printer icon without the fax? I have reinstalled a few times using the driver downloaded from your website for 6500A plus. HELP! I only get the fax icon for the 6500A Plus

HP Recommended

@original_blue

I read that there is only a fax printer listed in Devices and Printers. Looks like the drivers did not get installed. Sometimes, the previous left over drivers files can create an issue. I suggest you to uninstall the printer drivers from the root level by following the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

I do not know which version of Windows operating system you're using, therefore I'm sending you the generic link from where you may download and install the printer drivers: www.123.hp.com

Hope this helps. All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.