cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Cherriathome
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm on a mac and my printer won't print

I'm on a mac and it sends the document to my printer (Hp Photosmart 4680 all in one) but the printer won't print. My printer has been working just fine and now it won't print. Am I doing something wrong. This happened once before and I got frustrated with and left it for about 2 days, I had tried everything I could think of, unplugging for an hour or more, uninstalling and reinstalling, checked ink levels they were fine. Then all of a sudden it started to work again. I just turned on my computer and printer and amazingly it just started to print. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do? Or does anyone have any suggestions of what I may be doing wrong!

Thanks

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,868
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

What version of OS X?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Cherriathome
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

My OS X is 10.6.3

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Do you have HP software installed (in your Applications folder)?  If so and you got it from the printer CD, let's get rid of it:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP

emgreene78
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I just uninstalled all my HP software on my mac (because it was being a pain in the butt) and I tried to do exactly what you said, but I still cannot print.  Whenever I try to print it says that I am missing software that is necessary to print.  I have tried going to the HP website to get the software but it says that it is already on my operating system.  I am not sure what to do now.  Any help you have would be appreciated - thanks em

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Let's make sure your OS X is healthy:

1. Download and install OS X Combo Update.
2. Download and install HP printer drivers from Apple.

Finally, get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Driver" link at the top of this page (if you want).

Do not connect your printer through a USB hub, connect directly to your Mac.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
carpedog
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have tried all the fixes here and my laserjet 5000 still will not print. I am running 10.6.8. Because of this, if I have to buy another printer, it will NOT be an hp

0 Kudos
VivianeVangiese
2 1 0 0
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I agree with you!

0 Kudos
Retired SedonaF
Retired
1,540 1,111 23 131
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

0 Kudos
clstetso
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!! I have been trying to make my printer work for the past month, and nothing online has helped. I followed all your directions, and now it now prints perfectly. YOU'RE THE BEST!

Thanks again,

Claire Stetson

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation