Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to scan a document I received and turn it into an editable document in rich text (really MS Word 2016 would be better),  view it for any mistakes,  open the document with MS-Word or Wordpad (MS-Word would better), fill in the fields that need to be filled in, print it off and take it to be notarized and send it off.

My problems has been these:

I get the viewing screen after I scan the document and save it as an editable .txt file and try to save it to another folder and then I am not able to open it with MS Word, Word Pad, Note Pad,  SPF-PC, nothing....arrrrrggghhhh!!!! (I have to get this back!!!!)

I tried just letting the document print to a default folder and it would not let me open it,even though I had saved it as an editable document.   Forget Adobe X.  That has been a pain in my backside since i bought the entire suite of their products.

I was wondering if I should buy another OCR software tool and try integrating that into the scan, save, edit, and print portion of the HP soft scanner.  

Anybody with some good answers would be appreciative.

OP SYS:  MS WINDOWS 10  Version 1607 OS Build 14393.1066

Printer Model HP InkJet AIO 8710

connectivity RJ45 ethernet

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CatoctinHall

Your printer supports scan to rtf format given you have installed its software and drivers to your computer (and select OCR during the installation process).

Please try

(a) Open HP Printer Assistant (double click printer icon on desktop),
(b) Select Scan a Document or Photo,
(c) Select Scan to rtf (last icon on the left hand side),
(d) Scan.

The scanned file should be something.rtf and you can use Microsoft Word to open and edit.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Free OCR software is available on the web.  Try these two as they work great.

http://www.ocrtoword.com/

http://www.free-ocr.com/

HP Recommended

Pg. 28 contains information scanning documents that can be edited, but it is only for .txt or editable .pdf files. 

I don't mind the editable .pdf files but their is not enough room to create the fields that need to have the necessary information placed in the field (i.e. typed and trying to use the [T} with an overstrike through it to place edited information into these fields DOES NOT WORK.  ADOBE ACROBAT X is a pain to try and edit a form created from the HP OCR scan into an editable document. 

More suggestions please.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.