cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Derragirl
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

I want to print but printer wants to fax

HP Recommended

i have a hp officejet 6500 e709 series and i want to print a document but it wants to fax it. How do I rectify this anomaly ?

7 REPLIES 7
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
32,564 32,143 5,523 12,987
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From the used Application, click File > Print

Then make sure the HP 6500 E709 Series is selected, and not the HP 6500 E709 Series Fax.

As well, enter Control panel, then the printers management

(XP = Printers and Faxes, Vista = Printers, 7Win7 = Devices and Printers)

Make sure the HP 6500 E709 Series is set as default (V mark above), otherwise right-click on it and set as default for future use.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
lanz
Level 5
198 198 18 48
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI,

-Unplug the power cord from the product, and wait 20 seconds.

-Press and hold # and 3 while plugging in the power cord to the product.

-Release the buttons after the product starts up. The product will now be reset to factory defaults.

Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Derragirl
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks ShlomiL but the correct printer is set as default and when I print a document where I can choose the printer it works OK.  The problem is I was working in a goverment tax program and the print option on the page is just a printer icon which when I click opens the fax rather than printing the page that I wanted to print.  Maybe it's just an issue with this external program.  Oh well................thanks anyway.....

ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
32,564 32,143 5,523 12,987
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It seems like an issue with the external program..

Try to check around it's settings and look for any printer selection availability.

I assume the software should contain some applicable setting for it.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Derragirl
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried what you said and the printer reset but the problem persisted.  I have turned everything off and on but still no luck.  In the end the government tax program that I was using allowed an alternative to print to OneNote 2007 which I did and it worked.  Then I saved that as a .PDF and printed it successfully.  Quality is pretty ordinary but it will have to do.

I think that the HP printer has some problems with accepting printing instructions from this external program.  I've had similar issues with similar applications.  Generally, I have to say that I am not very happy with this HP printer.

Thanks for trying to help anyway lanz.

eloissea
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a new HP printer, 8620.  I want to print documents.  I want the fax part of the printer to be disabled. When I want something to print I get a PDF note, but I am just printing from my documents.

BeverlyW
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I solved the problem of my wireless Officejet Pro 8720 not printing.   Somehow it got set up as a FAX machine .   After numerous re-installs I went to Control Panel under printers and deleted all references to my 8720.  Then I uninstalled the software.  Then I unplugged the phone line in the back of the printer.  Then I reinstalled the software.   Couldn't find the printer but was able to install using the IP address available on the printer under the wifi setting.   Works great again.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation