Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (2,679 Views)

INPW gives side-by-side errors

I have installed INPW 8.1 on a Dell Optiplex 7010, Win7x86 Pro.

When I try to run the wizard, I receive the error:

"The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxtrace.exe tool for more detail."

When I review the application log I see a sidebyside event35,  with the following details:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SideBySide
Date:          10/19/2012 8:20:08 PM
Event ID:      35
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      REALESTATE8.BLINSKYLAW.LOCAL
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Install Network Printer Wizard 8.1\hpjsi.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Install Network Printer Wizard 8.1\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.MANIFEST" on line 4. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0". Definition is Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Any ideas??? I have used INPW 100's of times without this error. In fact, it successfully installed on an almost identical network client 5 minutes earlier. The only difference is that the system that worked was an Optiplex 790, while the one that didn't was an Optiplex 7010.

I can install a TCP/IP port manually without the wizard, so ultimately there is no problem, but I am bothered that INPW doesn't work.

Maybe INPW needs an update to match updates to Visual C++ redistributables?

Any help or insight appreciated. Calling HP yielded no one capable of understanding the problem.

Thanks

Joe Welna

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 2 (2,517 Views)

Re: INPW gives side-by-side errors

Hi Joe,

I had the same problem trying to install INPW on a Win7 x64 machine that I had just refreshed with a clean OS install.  I tried some of the other suggestions, like opening a command line window as an administrator and running "sfc /scannow" (which came up with no problems in my case), but still had the error when I tried to run the wizard.

Some suggested updating the Visual C++ redistributables, as you suspected might be needed in your case, so I downloaded the 2005, 2008, and 2010 redistributables and the service packs for each, then ran Windows Update to get the latest updates.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled INPW, and it works without the error now.

Hopes this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation