Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Office jet Pro 8615
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This fault suddenly occurred, no obvious cause, power direct from wall outlet, machine will not switch on/off.  Found a piece of A5 paper jammed to the right of ink cartridges, removed paper, still would not switch off.  Switched off at the wall (seemed to be nothing more to lose!).  Switched on at wall, various calibration/alignment noises for 30 seconds or so.  "Improper shutdown" message returned; touch screen inoperable, pressing on/off switch has no effect, opening door has no effect.  In fact, nothing does anything!

Printer is connected to home network via LAN and has had a few (far too many!) previous problems but now out of warranty, I am not at all happy with this machine after many years of experience using other HP printers at home and at work.

Is there a solution or is this printer now just so much junk (complete with its Dual Paper Tray add-on)?

Quick response appreciated before I spend money on a non-HP alternative!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jim_Price,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are getting Improper shutdown error message on your HP OfficeJet 8615 printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Normally when you see an 'Improper Shutdown' message it is because the printer was in an error state when you turned the printer OFF, or if you turned your printer OFF by pulling the power cable out instead of hitting the power button on your printer. The message itself is generally a warning that an 'Improper Shutdown' occurred. It should not cause you any issues with using the actual machine. However, in your specific case, if your printer is repeating the 'Improper Shutdown' message and the screen is going blank, there may be a programming issue or power issue occurring with your product. To identify and resolve this issue can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Check Power:

Please ensure that the power cable for your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet. Power strips and surge protectors can cause HP Printers not to respond properly. Once your HP Officejet is plugged directly into a wall outlet please turn your printer ON to verify if your machine returns to a normal ready state.

Should the issue persist, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Power Reset:

1. Turn your printer ON
  2. With the printer ON disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer
  3. Leave the power cable disconnected for 30 seconds
  4. After 30 seconds plug the power cable back in
  5. Your printer should start back up on its own. It would be normal to see an 'Improper Shutdown' message. But immediately afterward your printer should remain at the ready state as normal

For further assistance, please follow this link.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been away for a few days.  The printer was off the whole time I was away.

On my return, I switched it on at the wall and within a few seconds it showed the "Improper Shutdown" message came up with the touch screen was illminated but inoperative.

I tried your "Step 1" again - same result.

Then "Step 2" - immediately after inserting the power cord I got the HP logo on the screen for about 10 seconds (without needing to use the On/Off button), then it reverted to the "Improper Shutdown" screen, followed after about 30 seconds by some mechanical noises lasting about 15-20 seconds, then nothing, screen still lit but inoperative.  The On/Off button was also inoperative throughout.

Am I to assume the the printer is now permanently useless and I need to get a new one?  After all the imtermittent problems I have had with this Officejet Pro 8615, I am reluctant to buy HP again, in spite of being happy several HP printers in the past.

Regards, Jim

P.S.  Nowhere in the supplied instructions (printed or on disk) is there a warning about using power strips (which I don't) of switching off at the wall (which I do not usually do but there may have been occasional power failures). 

HP Recommended

Hi @Jim_Price,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, Before you could contact our HP phone support for further assistance, I would suggest you try to perform an advance reset on the printer. I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.