Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am not aple to print unless I change all cartriges even if I KNOW that some are not depleted.  I purchased a package containing one of all colord and black.  Some time ago the printer asked to replace the blue, which I did.  Now it asked to replace red and yellow, which I did from the same package that had contained the blue cartridge.  Then it asked to replace the blue cartridge so I purchased a new blue cartridge and replaced it.  Now it is asking to replace the yellow and red, which I had replaced less than a week ago.

My question is, Is there a way to get this machine printing again without going out and buying more new cartridges since all but the black were replaced within a week of eachother.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @MargaretS

Welcome to HP Forms and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are looking to seek assistance with your printer. 

I will be glad to help if you could provide more information. 

May I know which printer you are using?

What is the operating system on your computer?

Are you using genuine HP ink?

How is the printer connected to your computer?

For you to be able to print through printers that use 4 or more cartridges, require ink to be present in all the cartridges for you to be able to print. 

Please let me know if you get any particular error message for the cartridge. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In response to Chimney:

I was totally unable to get the printer to work because no matter what combination of cartridges I put in the printer, it seems it wanted all new ones, even though the ones I tried to use were new.  I think it may be that I didn't put all the cartridges in at the same time.

I finally went to Best Buy and they told me that this is the way things work with HP printers now.  Seems HP can access my printer and shut it down completely when they decide that my cartridges need replacing.  I must say that I don't like this.  I at least should have been able to print in black only but it was not to be.

My solution was to purchase a HP Envy 4520 for less money that a new set of cartridges would have cost.  I was then advised to purchase an instant ink plan, which I did.

As a 78 year old widow who has pretty much always been able to control her own destiny, I don't like this system of forced obsolescence and wasted ink.

So be it - thanks for offering to help.  

I would like to know if there was a way that I could replace color cartridges as they became empty because I sure couldn't find one!

HP Recommended

Hi @MargaretS

I can personally assist you with your Instant Ink needs. Accordingly,  I have sent you a private message. If you're not sure how to check your inbox, this post has instructions: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-to-check-your-messages/t...

Best regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.