cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
brandyc79
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Incorrect Ink Cartridge message after update

HP Recommended

I have used the SAME ink in this SAME printer since we got the printer years ago.  It recently did one of its automatic updates and now says "incorrect ink cartridge is not inteded for use in this printer."   Now my printer won't work, PLEASE HELP!!!!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,310 26,665 2,425 8,965
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What printer model? What operating system? How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN, Wireless LAN, bluetooth?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Teabag33
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem except that I haven't updated nor put in new ink cartridges.  All of a sudden, half way down the cartridges, the printer's decided it doesn't like them! 

You might want to try cleaning around the ink cartridge's heads (the coppery bits that you're not supposed to touch) with meths - I've done this today and managed to print off one page on two occasions, but it's now stuck solid again.

We have two of these printers and this has happened on both - I put a new ink cartridge in the other one which seemed to help, BUT, how do I know it's not going to happen with this cartridge - I can't afford to keep throwing away part-used cartridges. 

Incidentally, I am using the official hp ink cartridges - clearly a cheapo version would be money down the drain with this printer!

If you come up with an answer, please let me know and I'll do the same for you!!

0 Kudos
brandyc79
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer is Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One

XP operating sys.

USB wired connection.

We have had this printer for at least a couple years.  I have always used the same ink, and now this is a great new error to deal with.  LOVE my printer it has worked so well for so many things but I must say when it has issues, it has seriously annoying issues 🙂

Thanks for any help you may have for this issue.

0 Kudos
Teabag33
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've just called into the local computer shop and he suggested trying to wipe the ink cartridge contact strip on the back with your finger.  If that doesn't work then you'll have to change the ink cartridge.   I've just tried it myself but to no avail - I've now put in a new cartridge and I'm back up and printing.   Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,310 26,665 2,425 8,965
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not have much experience with this model.  There are a few things to try:

• Remove the ink cartridges and clean both the contacts on the ink cartrdige and the mating contacts in the printer with a damp q-tip.
  • Download and run the new HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation