Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (1,409 Views)

Incorrect Operating System Identified & Not Supported Error Message on PSC 7250 All-In-One Install

Okay here's a curly one for you.  I have a brand new Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q887 Laptop running Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition Premium. I cannot get the driver software for my PSC 7250 All-In-One Multifunction Printer to install.

After downloading the latest drivers (PS_AIO_02_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe) for my PSC 7250 All-In-One Multifunction Printer from the HP Support & Driver page, I ran into a huge problem.  I tried to install the correct and most current drivers for my system without  success. The install failed after I received the following error message:

"The Operating System on this computer is not supported. The installation cannot continue ... "  blah, blah, blah. The error message incorrectly identified the operating system with the message, Current OS: Windows XP 64 bit

Okay, I can deal with that or so I thought. Since the downloaded software install failed because of the incorrect operating system error, I tried using the original driver disc that came with the PSC 7250. This time the software on the install disc correctly identified the operating system as Windows 7 64 bit causing that install to fail as well.

So I went through everything to make sure there were no unexpected conflicts. I looked for tic boxes that incorrectly identified my operating system causing the install to fail. I did a disc cleanup & defrag and a reg clean & defrag hoping that would solve the problem.  No such luck.  I even tried using regedit, to look for an incorrect reg key or a bad reg value but that didn't work either. Nothing I've tried has made even the slightest bit of difference to the software install. 

At this point, I'm stuck. I cannot install the drivers I need using the original install disc since it correctly identifies the Windows 7 64 bit operating system and I cannot install the downloaded driver software since it incorrectly identifies they Windows 7 64 bit operating system as a Windows XP 64 bit operating system.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, I know I must be missing something but I just can't figure out where else to look.  Does anyone here have a suggestion as to how I might be able stop the software install from generating an incorrect operating system error message so I can install the latest drivers and HP Solution Center software for my PSC 7250?

If I cannot find a workable solution soon, it will be bye bye HP and hello to a more reliable and far less problematic multifunction printer from a more accessible company offering much better customer & product  support.  

Student
Message 2 of 2 (1,207 Views)

Re: Incorrect Operating System Identified & Not Supported Error Message on PSC 7250 All-In-One I

Hi. I have the identical problem with trying to re-install my HP Scanjet G3010 scanner on a brand new Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 64 bit.

Is there anyone out there who can help? Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation