Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I closed the ink cartridge access door while the carriage was empty. Now, when I try to turn the printer on, I get an error saying that the cartridges are damaged or missing, and it asks me to replace them. However, when i open the access door to replace the cartridges, the cartridge carriage doesn't move and is stuck on the right side, unaccessible. I can't replace the cartridges.

How can I fix this?

I really need to fix this soon

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

o

HP Recommended

Have the same problem with a HP Photosmart C5390.

The Carriage is stuck at the right side. You can move it slightly to the left about 1 cm.

Then it is not possible to move it any further left.

It is easy to move back.

There is a report that one of the Black Cartridges are broke or missing.

Get a status error 0x610000f6

HP Recommended

Hi RedRhino999 and A_P_Richeli

I understand the carriage is stuck on the right side and won't move out.

I would start by checking the pathways of the carriage to make sure there are  no paper jams.

Try to gently manually move the print carriage from one side to the other. If the carriage is at the right side, it is docked in its station. You can try to lift up and slide it to the center.

Perform a power reset.
Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
With the printer turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Wait at least 30 seconds.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Press the Power button to turn on the printer.

I have included a document for the Photosmart 5510 for a carriage jam issues.

Here is a document for the Photosmart c5390.

Hope this helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Does not help at all. There is no paper stuck. The carriage is on the right side.
When the printer starts it will try to move the carriage to the right, and not to the left.
This obviousluy does not work.
After trying a few times, it will give up and display the error message.
Is there a service manual?
I think that if the carriage can be physically moved to the left, the printer might recover.
HP Recommended

Hi A_P_Richeli

Sorry that didn't help fix the issue.

I have provided the manuals for the Photosmart c5390.

Your best option at this time would be to contact HP Tech Support for further
 assistance to see what other options are available for you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I have now disassembled the printer, and apparently there is a large plastic part under the carriage,
which is dislocated. It has moved to far towards the front. Apparently a bad design.
This blocks any movement of the carriage.

I removed the complete carriage after removing the metal slider
and moved this plastic part a little backwards, and now the carriage is at least moveable.
Disassembling the printer was a pain, but hopefully, I will be able to put the stuff together.
HP Recommended

Cartride assembly will not move at all, get massage that cartridges need to be replaced, just changed them ands machine won't work.  Seems liek they are jammed and stuck on right side.  NOT a paper issue.  I can't figure why assembly is stuck.  Can machine be opened up in some way>  Its a HP Photosmart 5510.  On it for two hours ad no results.  tried reseting, new software, you name it.

HP Recommended

I have an HP model 5510. Have two problems. The black ink cartridge will not print black. The other colors are fine. I took all the cartridges out and the carriage moved to the right and seems locked into place. I cannot move it to replace the ink cartridges and of course still have no black. Would appreciate some help. 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I think this seems like THE ONLY solution to this problem. Vidoes, other forum posts, guides, etc do nothing to address the problem, as the only solution provided is "look for obstructions" and "move the carriage manually". This whole turning it on and off again bull$*** is ridiculous too. I'll take mine apart tonight or tomorrow. My husband and I run a small business, so the printer is kind of a valuable piece of equipment. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.