cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sydney2011
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ink Cartridge Error HP Officejet 4315 All-in-One

I bought this printer brand new in December 2008. I used it so little, that I didn't even need to replace the cartridges that came with it until two months ago, almost two years after purchase. I replaced only the Black Cartridge, and the printer worked fine. Two weeks ago when I needed to print out a boardind pass for a trip to Australia, I got this yellow exclamation point warning that there was a cartridridge error, and to refer to the 'troubleshooting' section of owners manual. I did so, and tried every suggestion printed in the manual, and referenced this forum, as my warranty has expired. As a final effort at resolution, I put in a brand new ink cartridge for color, even though I had no warning that the cartridge was low, but it had expired in 2009. Now, I have wasted the money on that color cartridge, because I am STILL getting the yellow caution and am unable to use this rarely used printer that looks like it just came out of the box. I am completely baffled, and ready to purchase a printer from someone other than HP, if this is the poor quality I can expect from this company. I also have a HP PC. I have read other posts statiing the same problem, and they do not have any "Solution" attached. This is a last resort: CAN SOMEONE HELP, OR SHALL I DUMP HP, AND GO FOR A NEW PRINTER WITH A DIFFERENT COMPANY? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 16
Level 16
32,655 26,029 2,379 8,065
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The cartrdiges do have a shelf life.  

Did the error message indicate which cartrdige had the issue?  If so I would suggest you remove the error cartrdige and try printing in "reserve mode" where the printer can automatically switch to a mode that uses just one cartrdige.

Have you tried removing the cartridges and cleaning the electrical contacts?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
Sydney2011
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If only the printer would be user-friendly enough to be specific about the 'cartridge error' ie; "the black ink cartridge is in error" etc , then I would never have had to resort to this forum. This specific device Officejet 4315 All-in-one has NO reference at all to a 'reserve printing mode' , nor does it specify what the cartridge error is; one  has to go through ALL the motions of troubleshooting which include inspecting, cleaning,  replacing etc. Also, the printer is unable to run a diagnostic, because it WILL NOT PRINT ANYTHING WHILE THE CARTRIDGE ERROR LIGHT IS FLASHING. As I stated in my original post, the black ink cartridge was replaced with no problem, and does not expire until November 2011 -- it is new and has only printed out a few pages. I replaced the tri-color, as stated in my post, in an effort to determine whether it was the problem, to no avial. It is also new, and right out of the packaging. I am unable to print anything, because of this mysterious 'error', and the printer is incapable of being specific as to what exactly the error is, or which cartridge may be the problem. The problem is in the printer itself; not the cartridges. They show no sign of wear, tear, or damage whatsoever. The printer remains in the same position, I do not move it around, and it hasn't been abused in any way whatsoever. A techinician may be able to go into the machinery and determine what has gone awry, but I am not an HP repairman, and have followed every instruction imaginable, even replacing a perfectly good cartridge in an effort to 'fix' this error. I've checked all my computer settings for this printer, as well. One day I turned it on, and it just doesn't work, anymore. I have come to the conclusion that this printer is just not a reliable product, and  taking it into a repair shop,  would probably cost me more than a new printer. I am disappointed and frankly very surprised that this piece of equipment which was hardly used in worthless in just over two years.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation