Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 5 (2,366 Views)

Ink Cartridge Regionalization

After reviewing this forum, I called 1 800 474-6836 for assistance in resetting my photosmart C7283, purchased in Saudia Arabia using 177 ink catridges. Need to reset so I can use 02 cartridges in the USA. They refused to help me since they claimed they could not register my printer, although I successfully registered it on the HP registration site. Asked for a supervisor and was told he would tell me the same thing and when I insisted, was told he was busy but would call me back. Never happened.

Purchased this printer new in October 08 and never set it up until March 09 here in the US. Was unaware of ink regionalization so used the supplied 177 cartridges. What can I do. Tried getting help via email and they gave me the partial reset procedure which, per this forum will not work.

Would appreciate any advice/assistance.

Peter Lavoie

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 5 (2,355 Views)

Re: Ink Cartridge Regionalization

I suggest you call them one more time. They should be able to do it. In fact, they are only ones who can do it. No one on this forum knows how to do it, and if they do, cannot post it here as it is highly confidential information, including the tool used during the process of resetting the regionalization. Call them once again, speak to an agent or a supervisor, and they should be able to do it. And i don't think you should even be charged for this.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Tutor
Message 3 of 5 (2,349 Views)

I am currently working with customer support via email and they are trying to help me. If not, I'll try calling again. I'll post an update when this issue gets resolved.

Pete

Tutor
Message 4 of 5 (2,245 Views)

I have still been unable to get help. I tried going through email and they eventually promised a supervisor would call me and when I didn't get a call, emailed again and was told I had to go via phone for help. I called last week and was told no supervisors were available and was asked to call back, which I did today and was told no senior technicians were available so  they took my number and promised to call me and I am still waiting. Meanwhile I am unable to print in color as one of the cartridges is empty and eventually when the B/W goes empty? Has anybody found a workaround to getting help when all else fails?

Pete

Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (1,879 Views)

I had the same issue with my Deskjet 6980, which I purchased while living in Italy.

After calling tech support at the number on the front cover of my reference manual and giving the initial support person the model number and serial number (both on the bottom of the unit) and explaining my issue, I was transferred to a more senior tech support person who walked me through the problem.  It helps to refer to a "regionalization" problem and to be clear about where you bought the printer and where you are using it now.

In order for the senior tech to be able to generate the codes needed to re-regionalize the printer, they need to have you print a test sheet.  This can be a problem if you have already replaced the "original region" cartridges with the "new region" cartridges, or if your "original region" cartridges are out of ink.  I was lucky in that I still had a bit of black ink in my "original region" cartridge, and was able to generate a test sheet after a couple of tries.  Once you have the tech sheet, the tech will ask you for a series of values that appear on the sheet, and eventually ask to take control of your system via the secure HP service.  They can then enter the codes necessary to re-regionalize the printer.

The entire process took roughly an hour, so you need to be patient, but the tech people I dealt with were both pleasant and knowledgeable.  There are no short cuts, as the re-regionalization codes can only be generated by a senior tech at HP support after he or she has collected about 8 to 10 different values from the test sheet that your printer generates.   Codes provided to someone else (or those based on another test sheet) simply won't work.

To sum up:  be patient, have your model and serial numbers ready, explain that you need to re-regionalize your printer because you bought it in X and have since moved to Y, have your original cartridges installed in order to generate the test sheet and cooperate with the tech.  That's what I did, and I can now print without any issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation