cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pwaldman
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ink Cartridges Incorrectly Report "Empty"

I've posted this before and read threads with similar problems but the issue has never been solved.  My Officejet Pro L7680 will not let me print about every other day because it is reporting that "X cartridge needs to be replaced".  This can happen with any one of the colors and sometimes several at the same time.  These are genuine HP cartridges and they all have good ink levels. I have to pull out the cartridge and reinsert before it will let me print.  I have gone though the power off steps, hold the "OK" button for 5 seconds, etc.  This continues to happen on a regular basis.  I'm on Win & 64 bit with the latest software installed.  Looking for expert help.

Pete

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
pwaldman
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear HP,

I was hoping that your show of customer support for the two days of experts responding to customer issues was going to be beneficial.  While it may have been to some it certainly has not been advantageous to me and the multitude of customers that are reporting the same issue that I have asked to be addressed.  I loved my L7680 while it worked and the other HP printers that I have owned in the past, unfortunately every one of them has ended it's useful life prematurely with no help from HP to resolve issues.  I've learned my lesson and will move on to companies that believe all of their customer base is important and service after the sale is paramount!  I will take this lesson on to my work place as well and assure we make the right IT decisions going forward.

Pete

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Level 11
8,714 7,796 283 646
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Pete

Leave this with me and I'll follow up with some of the OJ Pro folks to see if they can help ....

Kind Regards

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
pwaldman
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ciara,

I appreciate your interest as an individual not representing HP but working for them.  I have gone beyond my frustration point with HP's aftermarket support and moved on to another solution.  Whether that will pan out in the long run has yet to be seen but I am confident that the HP solution will not longer meet my needs for support so I am willing to give others a try.  I also work for a very large corporation and we have come to clearly understand that the sale is only a very small part of customer satisfaction; it is what you do to support your products and enhance customer experiences that generates customer loyalty.  HP used to do that years ago but appears to have lost that recipe.  In the long run this will equate to a degredation of HP's market share.  Please feel free to pass on my comments to your corporate executives if they have a desire to hear from the customer base.  I know they send out surveys but unless they act on feedback it is a waste of time.

Pete

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Level 11
8,714 7,796 283 646
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Pete

Thanks for the feedback, and I assure you that I will pass your comments on.

You've mentioned that you've moved on to another solution, but I will still try to get an answer to your original query on the 'cartridge needs to be replaced' error msgs.

Kind Regards, Ciara

0 Kudos
Bunnyo
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We have a new B209 model.  In replacing the black cartridge Photosmart 564 it shows EMPTY.  It looks like the original we took out of the printer.  Also...there seems to be choices in the Black 564?  Bunny

0 Kudos
Level 11
8,714 7,796 283 646
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Bunnyo

To answer your query re. two types of black cartridge, please refer to the link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01839024

If your printer has 5 slots for ink cartridges, then it can accept a photo black cartridge.

Kind Regards

Ciara

0 Kudos
pwaldman
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, I've now tried three other solutions and none of them are as good as my L7680 (except for the ink reporting problem).  I've hooked it back up and am hoping we will eventually come up with a solution.  Please get this resolved so I can take back my comments about aftermarket support:smileywink:!

Pete

0 Kudos
fpgph
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too am having the problem with the ink being "empty" without ever printing anything but black documents.

My color will be "empty" and will first offer me the chance to "print in black" and then after a few pages,

it will tell me that these "colors" will have to be replaced before I can print "black documents" again.

This is so wrong.  Selling ink is all it is.  I wish I had never seen this printer.  I would very much like to know

if there is someone who is with hp that can give us a reson for this, other than they did it so ink would be

more profitable.  I understand you have this problem too.  I would appreciate any help you can give.  At this

point, I will have to replace this printer.  I have a Lexmark, but don't know if the drivers wil work with my

desktop, but that printer never gave me any problem.  I hate to think how often I would have to replace ink

colors if I were printing pictures!!!  Thanks to everyone for any help or advice.

Faye in N.C.

0 Kudos
pwaldman
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been working with someone form HP that has been trying to help with my situation (thank you Ciara!).  The situation has gotten worse and the gentleman I was working with has concluded that I should get a new printer.  Obviously this is not the outcome I was hoping for especially since the printer was only lightly used over the past few years (less that 3500 pages printed).  I really like the feature sets of these machines and have been looking at the newer versions (8500 series) but my poor recent experience makes me believe I really need to look elsewhere.  Any suggestion on reliable alternatives that have similar feature?

Pete

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation