cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
elson Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install C4180 on network

I want to add my C4180 to my home network & be able to use the full functions of the device as a network printer-scanner. I would prefer to use an ethernet port on the modem/router because it seems simpler, but I can also add it to the wireless network (802.11g/b, WPA-PSK) if required. I am using WindowsXP computers.

I am willing to buy additional hardware if required, & I don't really want to buy another printer, because this one is working well.

Right now I am using the USB port and running the cable over to whichever printer needs to print. If it would be simpler to use a USB hub or switch of some sort, I would also be open to that idea.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
20,508 20,434 1,425 4,862
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install C4180 on network

The C4180 is USB only.  It will only scan from direct-connect USB.  No wired or wireless adapters will allow scanning that I know of.

Have you priced new all-in-ones lately?  Check them out here

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
uactshspon Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install C4180 on network

Trendnet  multi-function USB print server TE100 MFP1 will be your solution.  This is a print server is compatible for C4180 printer.   It cost around $60.00.  C4180 is on their compatible list. 

0 Kudos
jmark205 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install C4180 on network

I found the TRENDnet 1-Port Multi-Function USB Print Server TE100-MFP1 on Amazon.com for $41.99 as on 1/16/2013.  This one is a wired ethernet version.  They also have a wireless ethernet version (TRENDnet 1-Port Wireless N Multi-Function USB Print Server (TEW-MFP1)) for $54.49 if you wanted to turn it into a wireless printer.

0 Kudos
jimpace Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install C4180 on network

So to confirm, using the USB port on a network router will not provide access to printing on this model ? If it does, is there a driver requirement ?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
20,508 20,434 1,425 4,862
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install C4180 on network

It depends on the router. If the router's USB port is set up for printers, then it will likely work.  If the USB port is only there for USB hard drives, then it will not.  Consult your router's manual.

If it does work, it will likely only print from that port, not scan.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation