cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DXIS
Level 1
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Installation problem hp p1606dn in windows xp sp3

HP Recommended

I have been trying to install an HP LaserJet P1606dn printer onto a standalone computer running Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 3. It is 32 bit, not 64 bit. I will be using the USB port since there is no network for this computer.  I have tried the internal webpage and the installation CD that came with the printer. I also reviewed the previous thread  "Installation problem hp p1606dn in windows xp sp3" since the problem is the same, but there was no resolution there to the problem.

When I installed from the internal webpage and from the CD, the installation kept on going, and nothing happened. During the installation process, the printer would print 3 or 4 pages with one line of gibberish at the top of the page. After aborting the installation, a check of Device Manager showed that there was no listing in the USB area for an unknown device nor for anything with a yellow triangle and exclamation point.

Then I found the HP Utility "LJP1100_P1560_P1600_SI_Utility.exe" which disables the webpage built in to the printer. I used that, and downloaded the "HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver" Version 9.0 released September 16, 2014. I had downloaded both files onto a flash drive, which I moved over to the XP system, and ran from the flash drive. The "Full Feature Software and Driver" also hung during the installation process, this time where it tells you to turn the printer on and plug in the USB cable. It stops with the pop-up window saying that it is waiting for you to connect the printer. There is no way to continue; the only way out is to cancel the installation.

I have tried different known-good USB ports on the computer and different known-good cables.

Is there anybody who can help me resolve this issue and enable me to use the printer with this computer using the USB port? Thanks in advance.....

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,643
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DXIS

I understand that the printer isn't being recognized when connected to the computer and the installation hangs.I can help you with this.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation. Double check your connections, just to make sure the USB cable is connected to the USB port on the back of the printer and not accidentally connected to the Ethernet port.

I have provided a document with some steps to try to see if that will resolve the issue.

'Device setup failed to complete' or 'Unknown device' Message Displays in Windows during USB Install...

Most likely there is a ghost key in the registry for the printer and that is why it isn't being detected.

I will send you a PM to access the registry and steps to do. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the
envelope to view it.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
DXIS
Author
Level 1
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Gemini02:

Thank you for your reply. Here's what I have checked:

The printer is connected directly to a wall outlet.

The USB cable is connected to the USB port on the computer. I checked the USB port with another device, and that worked properly. The USB cable is connected to the USB port on the printer.

I will read the document today, and, if it still doesn't work, I will look for the ghost entry in the registry, and try again.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know my progress.

DXIS

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation