d-hammer Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Installation problems Officejet 5610 All in One on Windows 8.1 64 bit

I have a HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One printer that I have  had for a few years. It has worked well on the old computer but the computer died. I purchased a new Dell Laptop with the Windows 8.1 64 bit operating system. The printer works fine but the scanner won't work since there is no software in the computer. I went to the HP Support website and tried to down;oad the drivers/software. The download failed 6 times. i finally tried anothe computer and after 4 failures. I was able to down load all 402MB of software. I saved it to a portable USD drive and returned to the Dell. I started the install and got to the begin installation screen. Unfortunately, right after it finished extracting the files. I got a pop up dialog box with the error message "System cannot find file specified". I went to HP Support and the website said to search the Windows file and remane the file extensions on all hpoins*.dat and hpwins*.dat files to .old file extensions. Unfortunately, there aren't any and they don't have any other suggestions.

Does anyone have any ideas? 

1 REPLY
Retired
Retired
5010 255 594
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post

Installation problems Officejet 5610 All in One on Windows 8.1 64 bit

Hi d-hammer,

Welcome to the HP forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues getting your Officejet 5610  installed on your new Windoes 8.1 computer but I'm hoping I can help you out :)

On your new Win 8.1 computer do you have an anti-virus program? Anything like McAffee, Norton, BitDefender, Avast, or anything like that? If you do, it's likely that the firewall within that anti-virus program is blocking part of the install. If you have any anti-virus on your computer you'll need to disable the firewall and the real time scanning within before you try to run the installation again. If you're not sure how, contact the anti-virus company and they should be able to let you know how to do those steps.

Let me know how that goes for your and we will go from there!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! :)

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation