Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6968

Installed permanent cartridges in printer as instructed, NOT Set-up cartridges, screen on printer reads "use set-up cartridges that came with printer" - so remove and install the set up cartridges? Seems like a more indirect way to get to a permanent cartridge? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello, @domp – Greetings!

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that you are having issues with your Officejet 6968 printer. Do not worry, I’m here to help 🙂

First off, the SETUP ink cartridges are used only to set up a new HP printer for the first series of your print jobs. They are specially designed to initialize a printer and calibrate ink levels.

Installing normal ink cartridges during the initial printer setup causes a printer error prompting you to install SETUP ink cartridges. The printer cannot be set up without associated SETUP ink cartridges installed.

Hence, if this is a first-time printer setup and if you have received the setup cartridges with the printer, please use them to setup the printer.

You can keep the regular cartridges in an air-tight container and can use once the printer is setup using the setup cartridges.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.