Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3630
Microsoft Windows XP

My elderly parents have a Dell Dimension 3100C running XP that they use only to create and print Word and Excel documents. They had a printer previously that worked fine. Trying to hook up their new HP 3630 I went through all the set-up stages until the contol panel showed it as installed, ready to go and set as their default printer.

However, when trying to print,  an error message says the installation isn't complete and to try all the usual basics such as uninstall, reboot, connect cables at specified time in the process etc. The printer seems OK as it did run off one of the product reference pages from the printer control panel.

The PC in question does not have and never has had an internet connection. My concern is that some kind of PC service pack may be needed to make this printer work or an internet connection to download a final element of the driver. This would mean me taking it home and potentially doing a huge list of updates and I could still be wasting my time.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@busker,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print from your HP DeskJet 3630 All-in-One Printer as you get an error message that the installation did not complete.

This issue could occur if the printer the drivers have not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the links to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you Rainbow 23 for your reply. Unfortunately your advice twice mentions using online sources when I have explained that the PC intended to drive the printer is in a location without an internet connection.

Essentially, my query was is it necessary to have the PC connected to the internet to successfully install the printer drivers even when we have the disk supplied with the printer.

The answer to this question decides whether we have to take the PC and printer to another location and connect to the web, downloading all the updates that the PC would require which could be 100+ just to get the printer working. Or, with the driver disk supplied should we expect to be able to install and use it without going to those lengths?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@busker,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the computer is not connected to the internet and you wanted to know if you can uninstall and reinstall the software from the CD supplied with the printer.

Yes, you may uninstall and reinstall the software from the CD without connecting the computer to the internet.

Please follow the steps listed below to uninstall and reinstall the software:

Step 1: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

1. If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

2. Search Windows for programs and features, and then click Programs and Features in the list of results.

3. In the list of installed programs, click your HP printer name, and then click Uninstall or Yes.

4. If a User Account Control message displays, click Yes.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal.

Step 2: Remove the printer from the devices list:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and in a ready state.

2. If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

3. Search Windows for devices, then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

4. Right-click the icon for your printer, click Remove Device, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the printer removal. If multiple icons exist for your printer, remove them all.

Step 3: Install the printer drivers from the CD that came with the unit.

Note: Do not connect the USB cable to the printer until you get a message to connect it.

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.