cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Lawrencewoo
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing Hp J6450 AIO wireless printing on OS X 10.5 Mac

I am trying to get the installtion software to see my Ip address and recognize my SSID but it can't even though I am connected to the internet wirelessly. I am using a Linksys router and I have a macbook. The printer is connected directly to my laptop via USB and it doesn't detect any Wifi network and when I input the wireless network name manually and have it search for it, it can't detect it. Please advise.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 1 vstshung
Level 1
12 12 0 1
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This model seems required connect a USB cable during installation to complete the wireless setup. See Wireless Getting Started Guide Page 4: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01441037.pdf

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
STaylor
Level 3
26 26 2 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Lawrence,

Make the radio is turned on in the printer.  There should be a blue light on next to the wireless icon button on the front lower left by the card slots.  If that light is not on, press and hold the wireless icon button for a couple of seconds and than let it go..  After the radio is on,

1. Press the Setup button on the control panel. The Setup Menu opens.
  2. Press the down arrow button to select Network and then press OK . The Network Menu opens.
  3. Press the arrow buttons to select Wireless Setup Wizard , and then press OK . The Wireless Setup Wizard opens.
  4. Follow the instructions that display on the screen.
  5. Insert the product CD into the CD-ROM drive on the computer. The startup screen opens automatically.
  6. If the startup screen does not display automatically, use the following steps to start the installation manually:
  7. Click Start .
  8. Click Run . The Run dialog box openss.
  9. In the Open: text box, type D:\setup.exe , where D is the letter of the CD-ROM drive, and then click OK .
  10. Select Add a Device , and then click Next .
  11. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  12. When prompted for the connection type, select Through the network and then click Next .
  13. Select Wireless and then click Next .
  14. Follow the instructions that display on the screen to complete the software installation.
0 Kudos
chereena
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have folllowed the instructions in both help emails to no avail.

Running a Macbook with 10.5 on it.  When I bought the J6450 and ran through installation steps, the wireless networking set up perfectly.  Printed wirelessly.  Then my boyfriend tried to print from our G4 tower that is not wireless (he didn't give me time to install software on his computer) and since he did this, I have been unable to set up again.

Just ran through the steps using the men on the actual printer device.  Got the following:

Wireless on - pass

Wireless working - pass

Network name found - pass

Security - fail  - I am not sure I know what my WPA pass phrase would be beyond the PW I use on my laptop?

Additional info in error page that printed after I tried:  The passphrase configured on your HP priner does not match exactly. Run the wireless network setup to re-enter your wireless network WPA security passphrase. 

Where do I find that?

0 Kudos
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You will need the WPA-PSK passphrase in order to get the J6450 to connect to your wireless network.

If you don't know the passphrase, you'll have to log into the Linksys router and read it from there.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
chereena
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know what that means - Linksys router?
0 Kudos
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry -- I was reading the first post and I just realized that this was a different person.  I have a few questions:

1. Are you using a wireless-router?  If so, what type is it?
  2. What is the name of your wireless network?
  3. What other devices do you have on your network?
  4. How is the G4 tower connected to your network?
  5. How did you connect the G4 tower to the printer?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
chereena
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My router is wireless - it's a Netgear.  Do you need the model #?  Can't see without unplugging everything.

The name of my wireless network?  We called it CHMAR07 I believe.

I have my laptop and a G4 tower on the network, in addition to the proposed printer.  

The G4 is plugged into a USB hub that the router is plugged into.   I was hoping this would also work for the G4 tower to the printer.

0 Kudos
chereena
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am still unable to print remotely and the only additional information I got from the HP help desk folks was to connect my printer directly to the router via cable line.  I have not tried that yet.
0 Kudos
tg4423
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to connect the printer to the network, and the mac is connected.  But the mac won't recognize the network in the hp wireless setup wizard on the computer.  Any ideas? 
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation