Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 3833
Microsoft Windows XP

I am trying to install my Officejet 3833 on my older computer that runs XP.  I downloaded the software pack OJ3830-FULL_WEBPACK_1119.  It extracts until it gets to 100% then it stops.  I have downloaded it directly on the computer and also on my newer computer and moved it over on a card.  

Any ideas on how to get this to complete installation or is there another program to use?   I only need the driver.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, @rondamo – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel!

I see that you are facing issues while installing the Officejet printer on your Windows XP PC. Let’s try the steps listed below to try and fix the issue:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Add or remove programs – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61238/mp-147827-1/OJ3830_Basicx86_1119.exe to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
I have tried this a couple times. I get an error message "HP-DQEX5.exe has encountered a problem.
HP Recommended

@rondamo

Hi,

as @Dvortex is out of the office, I'm replying to you. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job. I have read your post comprehensively and understand that the printer drivers do not get installed on WinXP.

I suggest you to try installing the inbuilt printer drivers in Windows. Please review the below steps:

1. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Click Add a printer.

Figure : Clicking Add a printer

Clicking Add a printer
  3. Click Add a local printer.

Figure : Selecting Add a local printer

Selecting Add a local printer
  4. Select Use an existing port (USB001: Virtual printer port for USB), and then click Next.

5. Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.

6. Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer (OfficeJet 3833 All-in-One) in the Printers pane.

7. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.

8. Disconnect the printer USB cable from the computer, and then reconnect the cable. You can now use your printer.

NOTE: If the printer does not print after installing the inbuilt drivers in Windows or of the drivers are absent for OfficeJet 3833 All-in-One in the list of drivers then choose the drivers for HP Deskjet 990c and install them. The drivers for HP Deskjet 990c should serve the printing purpose.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Neither of these drivers are on the list.  Are there others that will work?

HP Recommended

@rondamo

There should be a "Windows update" button. Please click on it and it will refresh the drivers list. You may check under HP and Hewlett-Packard both.

Let me know. Good luck!

HP Recommended

did that and they weren't on there

HP Recommended

@rondamo

If possible could you download the WinXP drivers on a USB flash drive on another computer? And then try installing them on this WinXP computer and check if that works?

Let me know. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I  downloaded OJ3830-FULL_WEBPACK_1119 onto a flashdrive but it wouldn't install.  How do I get the driver I need?

HP Recommended

@rondamo

I did some further research and suggest you to try the following:

• Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
  • Reconnect it after a while and check if the computer detects that a device has been connected. Sometimes the Windows operating system will auto install the drivers.

If that does not work then try searching for the "Temp" folder on your computer and clear/delete all the contents of the temp folder. Try reinstalling the drivers again.

NOTE: Do not connect the printer to your computer initially during the installation. Later in between the installation, there would be a prompt to connect the printer and that's when you may connect the printer.

If none of the above steps are successful in installing the printer then try creating a new user account, and then start the computer in safe mode, make sure to login to the new user account after, and try the install again. 

Hope it works. Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.