Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (384 Views)

Installing driver for HP Photosmart C5280 on a Mac using OS X (10.7.5)

I have followed the instrucitons on the site regarding  installing the drivers, but it didn't work.

There was no update listed in Software update list.
I then tried adding the printer through the syen=m preferences for Printers and scanners and after a time when it was searching for the driver it came back with the message:
"The software for this printer is currently unavailable. Please contact the printer’s manufacturer for the latest software.

Please help.

(We have no problem installing the driver onto a PC running WIndows,)

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 4 (359 Views)

Re: Installing driver for HP Photosmart C5280 on a Mac using OS X (10.7.5)

[ Edited ]

Hello jenni_b,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

For the C5280 printer, there is no full featured software available from HP. I have included the document 'OS X v10.7 Lion: Installing and Using the Printer with Lion'. To confirm you have followed through the listed steps?

For the error message 'The software for this printer is currently unavailable. Please contact the printer's manufacturer for the latest software.'. This message shows when the Mac is having a hard time installing the Apple update for HP. If your printer is connected wireless, I would suggest plugging the printer into the Mac with a USB cord, and try installing the update again.

Please let me know if you are able to add the printer, and print successfully.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (338 Views)

Thank you, but unfortunately this is exactly what I did last time.
I am connected to the printer by USB.

Do you have any other suggestion?
This is very frustrating.

Retired
Message 4 of 4 (329 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey jenni_b,

Thank you for the information. At this point, let's try something a little different. I have included the document 'Uninstalling the Printer Software'. Please select the option for Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8. Now the next part, only follow the steps for I used Apple Software Updates to install the printer software.

Once the uninstall of the apple updates has complete, please restart the Mac. Next you will need to reinstall the Apple Update for the printer. I have included the update'HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X' here for you.

Please let me know if you are still getting the same error message after.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation