Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5540
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Easy start stops at teh Post code question. As soon as I type it asks for a valid post code. Mine is validbut it will not accept it. Printing works perfectly & I can get printing & scaning to work from the Ipad air. I cannot get scanning to work on the Mac Pro. When I look at the printer it doesnt give a scan option. The printer message says no computer found, I dont have the HP Utility because of teh post code problem. Really would appreciate some help. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Julie2017

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer and have installed it on Mac 10.7 Lion. I read that the printing works fine and scanning does not. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Is the printer able to make a copy? If yes, it indicates that the scanning hardware is good.

It seems to be an issue with the drivers. I did some research and found that the printer drivers are unavailable for Mac 10.7 Lion. Therefore, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences.
  • From System Preferences, click on Print & Scan.
  • Click the Plus sign.
  • Select the listed ENVY 5540 
  • Click the drop-down menu next to Use or Print Using and click on Select Printer Software.
  • Select the ENVY 5540 from the list.
  • Click OK to confirm your selection and add the printer, then try printing using the configured print queue.

Once the printer The above steps will install the inbuilt printer drivers in Mac. I suggest you to then try to scan and you may also use the Apple Image Capture to scan. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply but it is still not working. Copying is fine as is printing. I followed the instructions re System Preferences but the driver for the ENVY 5440 is not listed.

When I choose scan on the printer it says no computer is found & refers me to the HP utilities, as I have already explained I cannot download that because it will not accept my post code.

Surely there must be a solution other than having to upgrade the OS on my Mac?

Thanks

Julie

HP Recommended

@Julie2017

You're welcome Julie. 🙂

I think that it would be a good to update the Mac OS. Because I did go through the Apple updates which consists drivers for a lot of HP printers. But there aren't any drivers for the HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer.

We have drivers available from Mac 10.8 onwards. Feel free to let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck to you! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply. Can you confirm that given printing & copying work the problem with scanning is definitely going to be resolved by upgrading the OS ie: are you saying it is a printer driver problem for sure?

Thanks

Julie

HP Recommended

@Julie2017

These are trial and error steps that have helped in the past to resolve similar issues with the drivers. However, upgrading the operating system in the best thing to do.

Hope this answers your questions. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.