cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Is Windows 8.1 and HP 8620 compatible?

HP Recommended

I recently purchased the HP 8620 as an upgrade from the 8600. Im on the second printer becasue I could never get the first to print so I took it back thinking it was a defected printer. Now I can't get the second one to print either. I've run every diagnostic there is and everything checks out as working, but when I go to print nothing happens. The printer is connected to my network, my computer (HP Envy) is connected to the router and shows the printer but nothing prints. Ive had Verizon FIOS, HP Tech Support and Geek Squard remotely controll my computer and neither of them could fix the problem. 

Any suggestions? Please speak in layman terms so I can follow along. I never had connection issues with the 8600. I downloaded everything online and connected wireless. The printer didn't come with a usb cord so I couldn't connect that way. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,164 7,248 342 890
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello MsHookEm,

Please let me take a moment to say "Welcome" to the HP Forums.

I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see that you are having some issues when attempting to install the printer on to your Windows 8.1 computer.

Just so you know , the reason why the printer did not come with a USB cable is because the printer has Wireless capability and the USB connection is NOT mandatory.

I have a few suggestions that we can try.

First off, please make sure that you have the printer power cable connected directly to a wall outlet and not a power bar/strip. Here is a document that uses a LaserJet printer as an example but it is meant for HP products in general. Please click on the following link that explains the Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector.

I would then suggest that we go into your computer and delete all of the Officejet 8600 and the 8620 from your computer so that we can start fresh.

Please disable any firewalls or anti virus protection before beginning the next step.

I have located the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers. Please save the download to the desktop of your computer so that it creates its own icon. This will also make it easy to find once the download is complete.

Double click the new icon and follow the instructions that appear on the computer.

If the troubleshooting does not help resolve your issue, I would then suggest calling HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here: click here.

Thank you for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The HP8620 driver does not seem to work for me in Windows 8.1 Pro. You try all of the HP diagnostics and everything passes, it even prints a test page from the HP print and scan doctor... but it does not print from Windows. If you are quick you might see the document appear for less than a second in the “See what’s printing window”... but it still does not print. “Print a test page” only results in “Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance?”... and still no print.

Resolution: Force the HP8620 to use the old HP8600 driver. Not clean, probably some missing options, but at least you can print.

If you don’t already have it: Download the HP8600 basic driver from the HP website: HP Officejet Pro Basic Print and Scan Driver (OJ8600_Basicx64_1315.exe). Install, but chose the option to connect your printer later.

Go to the Desktop> Settings >Control Panel >Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers

You will see your HP8620 listed.

Right click>Printer Properties>HP Office Jet Pro 8620... Select Advanced tab. Click on the Driver drop down, if you previously had a real HP8600 you may see it listed, if so select it, if not click ‘New Driver’. Follow this, Manufacturer is HP, Printer is HP Officejet Pro 8600. (Don’t be tempted to try the Fax driver just because it is first in the list, you need to scroll down and find the 8600 driver, it’s above the 8620 driver that does not work)... Finish up

Try a test print...

Note that the printer is now called HP Officejet Pro 8600 in the list of printers.

Hope this is of some use!

Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,164 7,248 342 890
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again DangerousSheep,

One other step you can try is to Refresh your PC without affecting your files.

If the refreshing the computer does not help resolve your issue, I would then suggest calling HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here: click here.

Thank you for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DangerousSheep wrote:

The HP8620 driver does not seem to work for me in Windows 8.1 Pro. You try all of the HP diagnostics and everything passes, it even prints a test page from the HP print and scan doctor... but it does not print from Windows. If you are quick you might see the document appear for less than a second in the “See what’s printing window”... but it still does not print. “Print a test page” only results in “Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance?”... and still no print.

Resolution: Force the HP8620 to use the old HP8600 driver. Not clean, probably some missing options, but at least you can print.

If you don’t already have it: Download the HP8600 basic driver from the HP website: HP Officejet Pro Basic Print and Scan Driver (OJ8600_Basicx64_1315.exe). Install, but chose the option to connect your printer later.

Go to the Desktop> Settings >Control Panel >Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers

Right click>Printer Properties>HP Office Jet Pro 8620... Select Advanced tab. Click on the Driver drop down, if you previously had a real HP8600 you may see it listed, if so select it, if not click ‘New Driver’. Follow this, Manufacturer is HP, Printer is HP Officejet Pro 8600. (Don’t be tempted to try the Fax driver just because it is first in the list, you need to scroll down and find the 8600 driver, it’s above the 8620 driver that does not work)... Finish up

Try a test print...

Note that the printer is now called HP Officejet Pro 8600 in the list of printers.

Thanks for posting this solution.

I'm experiencing simlar problems and due to my install on SSD refreshing OS is not an option. Would have to reinstall.

HP support is helpless. Some applications are able to print others won't.

if you have foud a better alternative , please share. ...i'm thinking about returning the printer altogether.

Regards,

P.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Piko wrote:

@DangerousSheep wrote:

Try a test print...

Thanks for posting this solution.

I'm experiencing simlar problems and due to my install on SSD refreshing OS is not an option. Would have to reinstall.

HP support is helpless. Some applications are able to print others won't.

if you have foud a better alternative , please share. ...i'm thinking about returning the printer altogether.

Regards,

P.

When I contacted HP the tech had me download the 8600 driver which allowed me to print but not in duplex which was a problem for me, but I had no choice. That is until the screen on my HP laptop cracked and I sent it in for repair. I ended up buying a Dell All-In-One Desktop while I waited for my laptop to return and had no issues with downloading the HP 8620 driver and using it the way it was designed to print. They ended up junking my HP laptop so I replaced it with a Lenovo Yoga 2 and again  I was able to download the HP 8620 drivers with no problems. Is your laptop/computer an HP? May sound strange but it seems to me my HP laptop and HP printer weren't compaitable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My experience with HP laptops was't too pleasent, .... this is a "custom" desktop with OS only installed on SSD, with libraries and most programs  on the other HDD's, so i was really pissed when HP's install software dumped all bunch of garbage on the C drive without asking. Support said there were problems when choice was given, so there.

we have a dell laptop with Win 8.1 one HDD  and there were no problems instaling 8620 on it.

Cheers,

P

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Easiest way to fix this issue with the proper drivers is to uninstall the printer.  Download the correct drivers and save them to the desktop.  Once the driver has been downloaded right click on the driver and run as administrator.  Finish installing the printer like normal.  This has solved a this issue for me and a couple of my customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello MsHookEm

Did you find a solution for the HP 8620 wifi connectivity?

I have exactly the same problem - I could not connect the printer via wifi but only with usb cable.

I have two PCs and two Macs and a heap of frustration...

I should have read your post before I bought th 8200.

Please let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The above post relates to the HP Officejet 8620 (and not 8200...)

If there are so many complaints about the wifi issue of the Officejet 8620 it means that something is realy fishy. I would not go as far as stating that the software or the compatibility is the culprit, but I would stress that a combination, or rather an incompatibility between Windows 8 [8.1] and a specific software or hardware item causes the invalidity of the HP 8620 driver, at least where wifi is concerned.

What you guys must note is that while I'm struggling for several weeks to wifi-connect a Windows 8.1 PC to my 8620 i was very surprised that the minimal 8620 driver works perfact [wifi-wise] on a windows 10 machine ! ! !

This implies that HP did not do a thorough job with the driver and did not detect the incompatibilities related to Windows 8-8.1 OS. I do hope that they will take the task in a much more serious manner and offer frustrated HP Printer users, like me, a honorable [and efficient] solution to this problem.

Cheers for Windows 10.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation