cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ph_low003 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Is it possible to connect HP Photosmart C4780 Wireless printer without USB cable?

Hi,

My family and I recently moved and while moving, thing inevitably get misplaced or left behind.  I have been fighting to get this printer up and going so I don't have to bother the people at the front desk at school to print my documents for me.  I have lost/misplaced both the software disk for the HP Photosmart C4780 printer and the USB cable.  I have no idea where these things are and have not found them in the two months we have been in the new house.  

I have resolved the issue of losing the installation disk by downloading it from the HP site.  My problem now is getting past the USB connection and getting the software actually installed.  Since I run on a MacBook Pro, it keeps telling me I need the USB to continue the installation.  I am on a Verizon wireless router, and I have even tried to find the printer on my wireless network with no luck.

Help, please!

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
396 386 29 134
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Is it possible to connect HP Photosmart C4780 Wireless printer without USB cable?

Hi ph_low003,

Method 1: Adhoc Workaround

On the printer, print out a wireless configuration page.

- Press Scan

- Press Wireless Menu

- Press Wireless Settings

- Press Print Network Configuration Page

If this page has an SSID (Network Name), try connecting your computer to this network so that you can configure the printer via the EWS.

If this page doesn't have an SSID (Network Name), proceed to Method 2.

- Once connected to the network, print another network config page to get the printer's IP address.

- Type the printer IP address into a browser (Such as Safari).

- Go to the network/wireless tab and enter in your wireless network settings.

- After pressing Apply, your computer will be disconnected from the printer (as the printer will now be connecting to your router). Connect your computer to your router again.

- Go through the installation, and add your printer as a Bonjour printer.

Method 2: WPS

- Check to make sure that your router supports WPS.

- On the printer, press Scan -- Wireless Menu -- WPS -- Push Button.

- Once the "Trying to Connect" displays on the printer screen, go and press the WPS button on your router (you have 2 minutes).

If neither of these methods are available, you might need to just go to a store and purchase a USB cable (usually between $3-$6)

Hope this helps :generic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
ph_low003 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for the quick reply.

I printed out the wireless configuration page, and the first SSID is the one my computer is connected to already.  After doing that, I printed out a wireless network test report and found under the configuration summary that my network name (SSID) on this is the one from the old residence.  I'm not sure how to change this and I am guessing that's what is holding me up.  Also, I am supposing the hardware address (MAC) is not the same as the IP address, since it is listed below.  The IP address says not applicable.  I am thinking I just need to figure out how to get the printer to connect to the new SSID and it will work out from there...

I don't think my router supports WPS.  I tried it, since there is a button on the front of my router we haven't been sure about.  It did nothing, so I'm assuming that it doesn't work.

Also, if I have to end up buying a new cable, would I have to buy one specifically for my printer?  And stores carry these?

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
396 386 29 134
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi ph_low003,

So you have 2 options based on the information you have provided (thank you for the attention to detail!).

Option 1: Use your computer to configure you network to match what the old network settings were (SSID, WEP/WPA, etc) so that the printer connects to it.

This method would allow you to connect to the printer, access the EWS, and configure the printer for the Wireless Network Settings that you want. For example, you can copy the current network info down on paper, input the old network info on the router so that it matches your old network, and your printer would be connected. Then you could enter the printers EWS by the IP address, and enter in the new network info (that you copied earlier). Finally, going back into your router and entering the new info (that you copied earlier). Then, your computer and printer would be on the same network using the new settings.

It is a round-about way of doing things, but it works (have had to do this in the past for a different device).

Option 2: Buy a USB Cable

USB cables are standard, you just need and A to B cable. You can get these at Staples, Wal-mart, or any electronics store for the most part. These are not specific to your printer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ph_low003 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I kind of understand what you are saying.  The problem is, when we moved we switched our service and our router.  The Verizon router we have is both for the wireless and the network.  We no longer have a Netgear router like we used to.  I tried connecting to the old address, but after doing so I realized we don't even have the router anymore because the one Verizon provided us with is a two-in-one.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to break down and buy a USB cable.  I'm just afraid to because the outlet on the back of the printer doesn't look like it's A to B.  It's a smaller outlet than the standard A to B cable.  

Thank you for your help so far.  

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
396 386 29 134
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This is the type of cable you will need (Ignore the color of the cable, the ends are the important part).

Having a new router isn't a problem, but you must remember the SSID and Wireless Password exactly, otherwise it won't work (if you decide to try method 1). It's kind of like "tricking" your printer into thinking that your new router is your old one long enough to configure it for the new (desired) network settings.

I am an HP Employee

Shachy Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

i lost my USB cable and i have a new laptop is an HP15  notebook touchscreen windows 8.1 and my printer is a photosmart C4780 i cant get it to connect with my laptop and the cd's dont want to work with the laptop and the cd's are windows 7 that might be the problem dont know ... and i cant find ip address (the printer i bought it like 3 or 4 yrs ago ) and also i buy a USB through Ebay i dont think it works with the laptop... need help please

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation