Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So after my printer kept falling off the network and my laptop kept saying it was offline, I've had to assign it a static IP. This has worked and I never have issues printing via my laptop now.

However, my phone and tablet can't find the printer now, even via the HP print apps. Any ideas? Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Greetings @jaydog69

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your printer is working fine from your computer but is not found on your mobile devices, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Are you using a dual band router? Note: HP Printers do not work or connect to 5Ghz networks. If you are using a dual band router, please give different names to 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz networks and connect the printer to the 2.4Ghz network. 

May I know the mobile printing method you are using to print from your mobile device? Click here to know about the mobile printing solutions available. 

Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled on your printer. Click on the wireless button on the printer, click on settings and make sure SSID broadcast is enabled. 

If you are using a dual band router, make sure the mobile device and the printer are on the same 2.4Ghz network. 

Do a power cycle. Turn off the router, printer, and the mobile device. 

Wait for a minute. 

Turn the router On, wait for a minute. 

Turn the printer On, wait for a minute. 

Turn the mobile On and check if the printer is detected. 

Recommend you install HP AIO Remote on your mobile device and tablet and configure it. Click here to know more. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My laptop connects to my printer via wifi and my router is set to 5ghz. Before I set the printer a static IP, I could connect all devices to the printer on the network, however my laptop always said the printer was offline.

I then set the printer its own static IP and my laptop works with it perfectly over wifi. 

However, my other devices such as mobiles and tablets can't even see the printer... Why?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and providing more information. 

As suggested earlier, please have the printer connected only to 2.4Ghz network and for other devices to be able to detect the printer, the other devices also need to be connected to the same 2.4Ghz network. If the issue persists after the devices and the printer are on the same network, please run HP Print and Scan doctor to automatically resolve the issue. Click here

Alternately, you can reconfigure the printer using the new IP address assigned to the printer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but i don't want to split my network. I don't see how that would help. The printer is already on a 5ghz network. If my laptop can connect to it surely other devices would too?

HP Recommended

Sorry to butt in here, but the printer must be on the 2.4Ghz SSID band.  All devices on your 2.4 or 5.0 SSID band will be able to access the printer.  It's the IP that counts, not the frequency.

HP Recommended

That's what I thought.

So why can't the printer apps on other devices access the printer?

HP Recommended

Most likely your router is blocking access.  Check the settings there.

HP Recommended
How would I do that? I have a BT Hub 5. Is it blocking access because of the static IP?
HP Recommended

No, might have something like AP Isolation turned on.   Contact your ISP for assistance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.