cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Brian_Osburn
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

J4680 wireless set up - worked, now it doesn't.

Okay, I'm at my wits end here.  I thought buying a wireless all in one such as the J4680 would be an easy way to set up our new printer and it's turning into a ginourmous headache.

I installed it wireless when we first got it about  a month ago.  Worked great, did a bunch of scanning / printing and we were over all pleased with it.

Now, I can't print to it..constantly showing as down.  I can see it's connected to the network by going to my router and listing out the connected devices.

I have done the following troubleshooting steps and would like to see if anyone has any comments before I have to call HP about returning this printer.

1.  Restarted both the printer and my laptop (windows xp pro sp 3)

2.  Uninstalled the software on my laptop and re-installed it.

3.  Done a soft-reset (powered on with # and 3 held down)

4.  Done a semi-hard reset (powered on with # and 6 held down)

5.  Attempted to pull up the configuration over http: by going to the IP address that has been assigned to it.  I can't pull up anything which I normally can.

In addition, I've tried setting a static IP address in the set up and still no joy.

The only way it seems to be working is if I print via USB cable and that's just not convient.

Any ideas?  It seems like the software inside the printer may of crashed and needs a kick in the pants..but I don't know how to do that.

I really don't want to return it, I just want it to work.

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,866
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you print a Network Config page from the printer front panel, does the IP address match what you set in your router?

If not, navigate to the printer's internal settings by typing the IP address (from the printout) and set the IP address in the printer to match the router.

Also, fix the static IP address outside the DHCP range - better yet, reserve an IP address (within the DHCP range) if your router allows. 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Brian_Osburn
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The IP matches up what I have in the printer config vs what the router says.  I still can't get to it - I did try from both my wireless laptops and my wired pc.

Brian

0 Kudos
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,044
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you post the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway for the printer and both computers?
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
Brian_Osburn
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's the configuration settings for the printer from the print out..

Network Status:  Ready

Active Connection Type:  Wireless

URL:  http://192.168.1.49

Firmware Revision: YWM2FN0820BR

Hostname:  HPD34A14

802.11 Wireless (Skipping over some settings):

Communication Mode:  Infrastructure

Signal Strength: 4

Channel: 6

Authentication Type:  WPA-PSK

Encryption:  Automatic

IP Address:  192.168.1.49

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default GateWay:  192.168.1.1

Primary and secondary DNS servers are blank.

mDNS Status: Enabled

Sevice Name:  Officejet J4680 Series [D34A14]

SLP Status:  Enabled

Laptop Settings:

IP Address:  192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway:  192.168.1.1

0 Kudos
charlenereeves
Level 2
25 20 0 3
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a J4680 printer and windows Vista and a flash drive. I can't quite figure it out. Help
Charlene
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, since the DNS server fields are blank, let's fill those in.  In a browser type your printers IP (192.168.1.49).  Navigate to the wireless page and change the IP settings (to manual) and fill in the fields like this:

IP - 192.168.1.49

Subnet - 255.255.255.0

Gateway - 192.168.1.1

DNS - 192.168.1.1

Just fill in the first DNS, leave the other one blank.  Hit save and then reboot the router and printer. 

I am employed by HP

Brian_Osburn
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would if I could, but I cannot access the built in web server in the printer.  When it was working, I had no problem doing that, but now I can't pull it up.

In order for the printer to work, does it depend on having that internal web server up?  

Brian

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, are your firewall(s) in the way?  Disable them.

Accessing the internal web server indicates that the printer is connected to the network.  The server is not required for printing, just setup.

There are some updates and a very useful tool (Network Diagnostic Tool) that may help you out here.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
vinnie452
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello...have you had any luck fixing it because I have the identical problem and can not fix it I have tried everything on the hp help site but hot very helpful.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation