Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

J6480 won't print PDF files correctly with Mac OS X

HP Recommended

Beautiful printer, replacement for 6310, which printed beautiful colors but had a mechanical issue causing it to chew up paper.  HP replaced this with the J6480, which handles paper fine, but will not correctly print PDF and JPG files.  The color ink is washed out and the black ink lays down too heavy, making printed text and barcodes unreadable.

A very unsympathetic supervisor in Canada named Warren says that it's my problem.  It isn't.  I am a very experienced user and have had a long list of HP printers over the years.  The J6480 is the only one that won't work with Adobe and Mac OS 10.5.6.

Somebody please give me something new to work with here before I have to call my attorney. My entire business is at a standstill.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 3
26 26 2 1
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What does a internal self test print quality look like?  And in the driver, what is the paper type set for?  It's possible that the printer isn't able to determine your paper type if it's set to automatic, and it is setting for photo paper, etc.  If you are using plain paper, set the paper type to plain paper. 

Also, in Page setup,  ensure that you have the J6480 selected in Format For:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All the checks are normal.  It's an issue with PDF.  Adobe inserts code to work around the HP printer software and work within the OS system... but with this particular printer, this does not work. 

With this printer, one cannot print from Adobe Acrobat and get good quality ink laydown.  If you print from Preview, and change the settings  under Color Matching from Vendor Matching to ColorSync, you can force it to work.

I do not understand why HP refuses to acknowledge this problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
26 26 2 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"I do not understand why HP refuses to acknowledge this problem. "

Perhaps the problem isn't with them?   I have a OJ 6480 and print from Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.  Which is why I tried to help you.  Using the 9.7.1 software from the web and running Mac OS X v. 10.5.6, I get fine print quality from both BW text and color prints.  

If the same file prints fine from another application, than chances are, the issue lies in the application you are trying to use or the settings you are trying to use.   I would suggest you try to work with people instead of threatening legal action. 

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for your input..  What is this 9.7.1 software?  Is it HP, or Adobe?  What is so irritating to me is that nobody could tell me what was wrong or how to fix it.  To unplug one printer (6310) that printed fine and plug another one in (6480) and get garbled bar codes and ink splotches seems to be something HP should be able to advise me about how to set up to prevent or correct this.  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
26 26 2 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No worries.  It gets aggravating I know.  The latest software for the J6400 series is here: OJ J6480 Mac OS X Software

I would uninstall the previous software prior to installing the newer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IF YOU ARE USING PREVIEW (mac osx)  simply go to File - Page Setup - "Format For:"... this probably says "Any Printer".  change this setting to your model and the problem will probably be fixed.  If so, chose to "save as default". 

Good Luck

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation