Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@pcwizard wrote:

Hi Johnstone_IT,

What printer do you have?

What is the error message you are getting?

Are you successfully able to scan from the HP Solution Center software?

This is my biggest complaint about HP's technical support. You are so stuck in your scripts that you don't read or listen to what people have just said to you. I'm getting an error message of "LCD list needs to be upgraded"... which is the title of this thread... which is WHY I POSTED IT HERE!!!! Start learning how to think for yourselves & actually troubleshoot the issue... I've been working in tech support for the last 10 years. If I ever gave a user that I was supporting the runaround that you people give us, I would have gotten fired. Maybe it's time to stop outsourcing & get some people who know what they're doing!!!! You might have to pay them a little more, but you won't be alienating your customer base & driving them to your competitors.

HP Recommended

Hi Johnstone_IT,

I can truly understand your frustration with this issue. I have been in technical support for more than 10 years, and I am attempting to get the missing information from your post, so that I can properly support you on the model of printer you are using. As you are well aware there are a lot of posts in this thread which have been solved by doing the update LCD list, and they have been on several different models of printers. If you are unsuccessful with getting the LCD list updated i am sorry to hear that. If you would not mind please let me know what the answers are to the following questions. Once I have this additional information we can proceed with finding a solution to your problems.

What printer do you have?

How do you have it connected to the computer?

Are you successfully able to scan from the HP Solution Center software?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

This is an update to my last message # 128: The scanning function has died again with the same message (i.e. with the title of this thread).  The printer/scanner (4500n-z) goes through the dialogue for setting up a loaded document scan up to the point where the PC is selected, but it doesn't ask whether I want a PDF or a JPEG as it should, and as it does when the scanning funciton is working properly.  I have another 3 weeks on the warranty, so it's going back to the store in a week if there is no positive resolution.  I can't keep reloading my PC software and unplugging the printer every few days.

HP Recommended

Hi DavidCyr2000,

Thank you for the update. At this point you have a couple options to chose from below. Let me know what you would like to do?

Option 1 - Scrub software & update Adobe flash player

Try using the scrubber built into the CD or Download.

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-80348-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-80348-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

Option 2 - Contact Phone support

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

We have 3 computers here, an ASUS and an Acer running Windows 7 and a clone running XP.  All 3 experience the same problem at the same time, so I don't see what this issue has to do with Adobe Flash Player.  When I got it scanning again last week on my W7 laptop, I had uninstalled all HP software then reloaded the HP software (CD) and turned OFF the printer for 1 minute; nothing else.  We used the distribution CD to reload the HP software on one W7 computer and an online download on the other W7 laptop (yesterday).  We called technical support last week and spent an hour and a quarter on the phone.  They were unable to connect to my computer, and the "technician" in India asked me what I wanted her to do!  I said that was why I was calling for support, because I don't know what to do at this point, so I concluded that she couldn't help me and decided to terminate the call without a resolution or any idea of what to do next.  Please explain why Adobe gets its finger in the pie before I go to all that trouble, because I really don't understand how or why this might help our cause!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi DavidCyr2000,

Adobe flash player is used to run the Solution Center software. If you do not have the most current version installed this could be part of the issue you are having.

Can you still scan from the computers using the Solution Center software?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
I have also been frustrated with this problem (inability to scan from my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless panel). Scanning from the HP Solution Center works fine, but with printer in a different room, it requires trips back and forth to effect a scan, which would be so much easier if the at-printer scan worked. Yes, the HP employee suggested "fixes" do fix it briefly, but it is short-lived. FRUSTRATED READERS OF THIS BLOG OUGHT TO MARK "KUDOS" FOR THOSE POINTING OUT HP'S FAILURE TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM (such as this message & #'s 131, 129, 123, 119, 114, 112, 111, etc.).
HP Recommended

The scanner started working again with only the plug removed for a couple of minutes.  The Flash Player was already up to date (Version 11.3.300.271).  I suspect there is something else going on with the printer hardware because, as I mentioned earlier, the printing function drops offline with the same frequency as the scanning problem, and the only way to get the printer back online is to pull the plug and restart the printer.  The printer goes offline every 3 or 4 days, which is the same frequency as the scanning problem.

HP Recommended

To any HP Employee reading this

It is apparent that this problem affects multiple people and multiple printers. Rebooting various bits (printers, pcs) etc will cause the functionality to start working again.

However, this is not a satisfactory workaround to the problem. 

QUESTION: Does HP's internal bug tracking database have a bug for this issue? If so, then please reply with it;s current status and plans to fix. If not, then please reply and tell us *exactly* what information is required to create such a bug entry.

If you don't have access to HP's bug tracking database, then please ask your supervisor for this information. If they dont have access, then please tell me, and I'll start with Meg Whitman and work down.

Philip

HP Recommended

Any HP Employee who has read through this entire thread must know that a huge problem exists.  For all the users that have posted a complaint, there must be x 100 that have not (or do not know about this forum). 

I have tried everything suggested in this thread, including buying a different HP Printer.  Nothing works for more than a day.  Once the computer and printer are switched off for that day, or sometimes sooner, it simply will not allow me to scan from the printer to the computer.  If it doesn't give me the LCD error, it will not stop sending prompts to the computer to scan - when I am on a different floor unable to run to the computer to accept the scan. 

The whole scenario is ridiculous, and the HP "expert" replies and suggestions are insulting, time consuming, and useless.  HP: Until you have a software patch for this issue, stop bothering us all with these ineffective, temporary fixes.

I've simply started scanning to an SD card from the printer. Much less hassle.

Brian H

C310 Photosmart

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.