Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

According to another thread that I read, the problem is caused by running IPv6 on the local network. It would be interesting to know if other people are also running IPv6.

In the end, I complained to HP's CEO about this an I got a certain amount of satisfaction -- though the promise of having someone technically competent reach out to me was not fulfilled. 

Philip

p.s. For the people who think that this is solved by rebooting everything in sight, then you just haven't waited long enough. You will be back to this thread.

HP Recommended

Your hypothesis that; "...the problem is caused by running IPv6 on the local network" does not seem to be the issue here.  According to web site http://www.amiusingipv6.com/ I am running IPv4 and IPCONFIG gives me a V4 LAN IP address.   This HP OfficeJet 4500 printer is simply flaky, as it runs properly (scans from the printer-initiated commands) for 12 - 48 hours before it decides to stop scanning from printer console commands.  Unplugging it for a few seconds restores the function.  This is the case regardless of anything else talking to the printer, whether it be XP or W7 on an Acer, an ASUS and on "clone" hardware.  Even the wirelss router has been changed throughout.

HP Recommended

I followed the HP employees suggestion and it made no difference. There is nothing in the left catragory to put into the right catagory.

Why is it that every single time I try to scan, print or copy with this thing I cannot? Why is this problem on blogs for over a year without a solution. If I get a responce to this e-mail that involves uninstalling and reinstalling I am going to lose my mind.

HP Recommended
Thank you, Spurs! You saved me. I tried all the stuff HP suggested and it didn't work. Your perfect, easy solution worked!! I really appreciate your help. (This is my first time here and I'm so glad I found your fix.) I wish good things for you for helping computer-challenged people like me.
HP Recommended

i can not get printer to scan  & have rest ?  do i need to turn all off & try again?

HP Recommended

My advice is to return the printer if you can. It appears that the photosmart printers are unable to scan reliably from the printer. HP knows this and does nothing about it.

The low end HP laser printers are somewhat better -- but only in the sense that they don't claim to be able to start scanning from the printer. What idiot designs a network printer where the only way of initiating a scan is to do it from a PC??

Philip

HP Recommended

Not sure if this is the case with anyone else, but the only time I receive this error message is when I am manually scanning a document on the glass and the top tray isn't able to close the entire way.  I know its strange, but thats been my experience and maybe its the same for some of you.  If not, good luck, and try to get a refund!

HP Recommended

NOTE WHEN TRYING TO SET UP HP OFFICEJET 4500 I KEEP GETTING MESSAGE LCD NEEDS TO BE UPGRADED, WHY?

HP Recommended

{Content Removed}

Is HP trying to say that it isn't competent to do auto resets periodically without user interaction?

This isn't a privacy issue problem.  If some unauthorized user accesses the printer, only electricity, ink, and a sheet of paper is lost.  whhoooopppiee.

Idiosyncracies of this sort encourage return to use of hard-wired peripherals.

FIX THE PROBLEM

Stop giving excuses

HP Recommended

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT THERE IS NOTHING ON THE LEFT TO ADD???

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.