Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a brand new LaserJet Pro 400 M401 dn.  Attempts to install it on two separate computers have  all ended in failure.  The "install" phase hangs at 99% then announces a terminal error and closes down. I'm using the HP installer on the disc that came with the printer.  Where should I look for a solution? 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Before more help can be given, you will need to provide:

1. what OS you are trying to install on?

2. What type of connection you are using?

I would also check to make sure the printer has the current firmware installed. I would also recommend using the installer found on hp.com as this is the must up to date software.

m401dn product page - click on your OS - click on your desired software package

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

Hi, Please specify the OS you were trying to install the printer driver on?  Win vista / Win 7? 32 bit or 64 bit?

if it is a Win 7,  and you're using USB connection, you could try the "plug and play", that means plug in USB cable, new hardware detected and start to install,  one completed, the printer instance should appears in your "Device and Printers" List.  the basic print and scan should be working fine.

this is a workaround, and for your issues, we probably need more failure description. 

`````````````````````````````
I am an HP employee.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
HP Recommended

Another step I would recommend is from the Control Panel of the printer go to the Service Menu->Smart Install-> and turn it to OFF.  Try the install again.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Have 4 of these printers with frequent problems with installing software: sometimes from the printer, sometimes from the CD, sometimes from the internet.  Disabling the auto install from the printer control panel seems to have solved the problems.  We'll see. 

HP Recommended

Hi, Please specify the OS you were trying to install the printer driver on?  Win vista / Win 7? 32 bit or 64 bit?

if it is a Win 7,  and you're using USB connection, you could try the "plug and play", that means plug in USB cable,

Go to  device and printer.

Select add a printer option.

Select the existing port as ( available port)

Locate the driver manually by selecting the have disk option

Browse the .inf from the driver file  and click on next option.

Then the driver will get installed.

This a one way of installing the driver via USB.

Regards,

Suyamendra

HP Recommended

posted it on commercial site - no replies

useless support!!  please help me

HP Recommended

@artlew 

I see that you have posted this same question on a couple of different threads so I am not sure what laserjet product you are trying to install. However, I am also seeing that you are expereince the same issue with whichever product and that issue is the software install seems to hang at some point no matter which install method you are trying (USB or network).

My suggestion, if you have not already tried it, would be to do the following:

1. Uninstall all software from your system. This will require that you go into your C:// and make sure that all HP folders will the software has been deleted. C:// - HP_ (look for any folder that has your product name) - move to your recycle bin and delete from system.

2. Go to your printer control panel and turn of Smart Install: Gear Icon - Service menu - HP Smart Install - Turn Off.

3. Down Load and install a fresh driver and try again. 

You should be able to complete the install at this time.

Good luck and let us know if this helps.

I am an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

Fixed.

Uninstall ALL HP software in Control Panel. Reboot!

In the Printer settings (within the printer obviously, not the PC) , go to the Service menu > Smart Install > and turn it OFF!

NOW, with the PC and printer on, connect the printer to it via USB. Allow it to detect and install drivers automatically this way (including the Windows Update checks). Once done you'll be able to use it as normal. There's no need to do anything further.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem... Printer will not install, reaches 99% and fails as indicated before...

Computer System: HP 600 SFF

Operating System: Windows 10 x64 /4gb ram

will not install from CD or x64 download from HP site.

Please assist

Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.