Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Power cycling continually, displaying "49 service error - turn off then on" on the screen before cycling.
Printer only does this when connected to the network. Printer quite happy to sit quietly when NOT connected to network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unplug the network cable from the printer,  check and clear all the print queues (there may be a pdf doc sitting in a pc or server print queue)

Once the queues have been cleared, reboot the printer and plug the network cable back in.

If this doesn't cure the problem, then the likely problem is a faulty formatter board.

Good luck !

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Unplug the network cable from the printer,  check and clear all the print queues (there may be a pdf doc sitting in a pc or server print queue)

Once the queues have been cleared, reboot the printer and plug the network cable back in.

If this doesn't cure the problem, then the likely problem is a faulty formatter board.

Good luck !

HP Recommended

Thanks, Guy1. Unfortunately that has not resolved the issue. Thanks for your efforts though. Any idea how readily available a formatter board might be, and how expensive?

HP Recommended

Error 49 usually signifies a firmware error (which could, as Guy1 suggests, be due to a formatter problem), but it can, in some cases, be invoked by some system sending a 'rogue' job to the device; see the following threads for other examples of discussions of similiar problems with similar LaserJet models:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/LaserJet-200-M276nw-works-for-a-week-or-so-the...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/why-does-MF375NW-run-all-the-time-intia...

/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/LaserJet-Pro-200-color-MFP-M276nw-Reboots-Every-5-minutes-with/m-p/...

/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/M475dn-reboots-every-5-minutes-when-connected-to-my-network/td-p/58...

HP Recommended

Looking through the previous threads I checked the PCs in the same room as the networked printer by disconnecting them one at a time from the network. When I disconnected one particular PC the problem stopped! Looking at that PC's print queue, there were several jobs listed, none of which looked out of the ordinary. However, when I cleared out all those jobs the printer stopped giving the error 49 and stopped initialising. So it looks like that was the problem. Thanks for the advice, Chris.

Rgds

Phil

HP Recommended
After further investigation I disconnected the PC's on the same network one at a time. One in particular seemed to stop the problem. I had the user show me the print queue for this printer and there were 4 jobs waiting. Cleared them out and Bob was my uncle! Thanks again for the help.
HP Recommended

Just for reference, regarding bad print jobs occasionally producing 49.xx errors, attached is a small print job which, if the contents are sent to a PCL printer port, may (but may not) cause a 49.xx error.

Results with my two printers:

• LaserJet 1320n: job prints
    • Laserjet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn (firmware datecode 20120808): printer reboots after reporting "49 Service error Turn off then on"

The print job just contains a few initialisation sequences, and a small raster graphics image.
The image uses adaptive compression, but an extra trailing zero (null) byte has been inserted in each 'block', which makes the data invalid according to the specification.

Also attached are a similar PCL print job, but with valid raster data, and analyses of the two jobs.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.