Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,509 Views)

Laptop looses OJ8500 Printer config in Windows 7

I am working with a customer who has the OJPro 8500 Wireless and DV7-2273CL laptop (with Windows 7 Home. They were purchased 10/23/09 at Costco in Greenville SC.

The customer tried to set up the printer using the CD that came with the printer and it said :not compatible with theis OS".  The CD was for XP and Vista. When they called HP Invent for help, they were told drivers would not be available for at least 6 months and then when the customer escallated the issue to management, Tech support hung up.

The customer, frustrated with HP response, called the store Manager at Costco who then called me (I am the HP Account Rep for this area) for help.  I have been working with the customer and HP Support since 10/27 with limited success.

First, we did a system restore to the laptop as the drivers appeared to be corrupted (after spending 2 hours with tech support and troubleshooting).  We then installed the new full Windows 7 driver software that had just appeared on the web.  The OJPro 8500W was connected wirelessly.  Everything seemed to be working fine.

Two weeks later, I get another call and the printer is no longer printing.  The Icon in devices and printers for the Wireless config had disappeared and only the Fax icon remained.  I removed the drivers and reinstalled from the CDROM that HP had sent to the customer (Version 13.0).  Again everything worked fine.

Two weeks later and I get another call that the printer will not print again. Icon is gone again.  What is going on?  The customer wants a resolution or will return both units (a loss of over $1300)!  Please help!

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 4 (1,502 Views)

Re: Laptop looses OJ8500 Printer config in Windows 7

There is a feature in the printers and devices window, that if you right click on your printer icon and select "Delete Print Queue" you will remove your print driver. Doing this will only leave behind the fax icon, and solution center may not detect the printer properly. Is it possible the user is doing this when documents are stuck in the print queue?

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (1,476 Views)

I highly doubt this.  The customer is not that computer savy. It happens after the system is turned off and seems to reoccur every two weeks or so.  Then I have to go back and reinstall the drivers.

I talked to tech support and they suggested updating the BIOS of the DV7-2273CL to F.36 might cure this.  I did this, re-installed the drivers and updated some other drivers that were new as well.

We will see.

Thanks for your input.Smiley Wink

Professor
Message 4 of 4 (405 Views)

If this sounds like your issue:

After installing the product on a network, you turn the computer off, and then on, and the product loses functionality. The product no longer prints and the product icon disappears from the Devices and Printers menu in Windows 7 (64-bit).

Try this fix:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-89191-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...=

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation