Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (3,392 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop running Win Vista won't print through wireless connection

I have a problem trying to print to a HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-One printer from my laptop computer.  The laptop is running Windows Vista and connects to the network using uses a wireless Linksys router WRT54G2.  The printer is attached by Ethernet cable to my desktop computer (running Windows XP), and it prints just fine.  No matter what I do to print through the wireless router, nothing happens except that the print output just goes to the print Que and sits.

I down loaded the Vista HP2575 software and updates directly from the HP website.

Six days ago when I first installed everything on the new laptop, I did a test print just fine.  

Laptop printer is configured to Spool print documents, and using Port “Dot4_001 HP Device”.  Also, it is set to “Share this printer”.

I tried a test and connected the laptop to the printer using a USB connection, and that runs just OK.  The wireless internet connection works just fine for web connections.

So, what have I done wrong

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Laptop running Win Vista won't print through wireless connection

I finally resolved the problem. I'm not sure just why it works this time.

I decided to uninstall all the HP software, then reinstall it again using the HP website downloads HP2575 for Win Vista.  I just used the standard install while the wireless connection was active. 

I checked the properties for the printer.  The "Share this Printer" is unchecked.  The port is set at as "Standard TCP/IP Port".  Advanced tab - "Spool print docs ..." and "Print spoolded docs first" are checked.

My wife will be very happy to have her printer accessible. 

Thanks for suggestions.  larry
View solution in context
Professor
Message 2 of 4 (3,367 Views)

I'm a little confused on your network setup.  Let me know if I got this right:

1. Your Vista laptop is connected to the internet wirelessly via your Linksys WRT54G2 wireless-router
  2. The Photosmart 2575 printer is connected via Ethernet to the same Llinksys wireless-router
  3. You desktop is also connected via Ethernet to the Linksys wireless-router

Is this right?

Here's my confusion:  I'm not sure why there's a USB print spooler on your Vista laptop.

If everything is wired as I've described above, you should check to see that you can browse the printer's internal web page using its IP address.  If you can, then you know that the network connections are working.

Last step is to reinstall the SW on the laptop and desktop. 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (3,362 Views)

Yes, the setup is as described.  The use of the USB connection between laptop and printer temporarily using an additional printer definition on the laptop.  It's pretty late here right now so I will research more in the a.m.  I know what the router IP address is, but I don't know how to browse the printer's internal web or it's IP address (is if it is different than the router).  I'll have to resolve all that further.  Thank you.
Top Student
Message 4 of 4 (3,260 Views)

I finally resolved the problem. I'm not sure just why it works this time.

I decided to uninstall all the HP software, then reinstall it again using the HP website downloads HP2575 for Win Vista.  I just used the standard install while the wireless connection was active. 

I checked the properties for the printer.  The "Share this Printer" is unchecked.  The port is set at as "Standard TCP/IP Port".  Advanced tab - "Spool print docs ..." and "Print spoolded docs first" are checked.

My wife will be very happy to have her printer accessible. 

Thanks for suggestions.  larry
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation