Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
NeilB1701 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laser M1217NFW mfp won't scan

I have just purchased a new HP Laserjet M1217MFP. The printer is fully set up wirelessly and connects to my Intel iMac running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. The printer prints fine from both the iMac and iPad however, I cannot get it to scan. In the app Image Capture my other printer / scanner shows up fine which is an Epson however nothing from the new HP. I have tried just USB connection, wired network and wireless but still no joy.

I have tried to get it to scan with HP's software installed and uninstalled with no difference.

The iMac is fully updated and the HP printer has the latest firmware applied.

Anyone with any idea?

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
HP_Reseller Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem within our office. Any ideas/help gratefully received,

0 Kudos
MacUser2 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have also just purchased the HP LaserJet M1217nfw MFP.  It seems like a great machine, however, I can't get it to work AT ALL with my MacBook Pro running lion.  I wish my problem was only no scanning. 

After several hours of not being able to install the printer, I spent 3 hours on the phone today with a very helpful and patient person from HP.  He also was unable to install it on my mac.  His conclusion was that apple has not developed the driver yet to work with lion.  In other words, I will just have to wait until they do to use the printer.

If you are using this printer (in any capacity) with mac running lion, can you share how you installed it and specifically which driver you are using and where you were able to obtain the driver?

THANKS!!

0 Kudos
NeilB1701 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I was the original poster, yes mine works fine via my iMac over a wired network running Mac OS 10.7 Lion, it also works fine on a wireless network. The driver I'm using is the HP one and is named Hewlett-Packard HP Laserjet Professional M1217nfw MFP-AIRPRINT - V1.0. 

My iOS devices all work with as well and the driver came with the HP printer update for Lion a weeks ago. However, even before this update the printer still worked OK with Lion. 

The scanner problem is still there although after just buying the printer HP assured me the scanner would be included in the update mentioned above it was not, so scanning is done through a windows laptop which is really annoying.

I hope this helps in at least you know it does print fine in Lion.

0 Kudos
NeilB1701 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know if you have noticed but HP have just added a new set of drivers and firmware in one package on there website for the M1217, just downloaded and it now scans and still prints. You do have to scan through the HP director program (Still nothing in image capture or preview but it now scans great.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=Im-80903-4&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&...

0 Kudos
NeilB1701 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After posting my original reply I went looking at the M1217 web page and found a new set of drivers and firmware, that came out a day or so ago.

My iMac running Lion now scans. The printing is still there (For HP sometimes that's a bonus), the printer also seems a little more responsive. Scanning still doesn't show up in Image Capture or Preview apps so it has to be done through HP Director , but it now works.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=Im-80903-4&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&...

MacUser2 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the posts.  Unfortunately, this is the one I started with as it is the one that was shipped with the printer.  For some reason, it gets hung up before it finishes the installation so never gets installed.  I've tried about 10 times but have always had to do a force quit after letting it sit at 90% complete for several hours.  It did finish the first step once, but got hung up on the second step because it asks to select a device, however, there are no devices listed to select.

I've added the printer through system preferences, print and scan option.  However, the M1217 print driver does not appear on the list as an option.  I've tried the LaserJet 1200 and a few of the M series ones, but none work.  The print job simply moves to the queue and out of the queue as if it is printing, but nothing happens at the printer.

0 Kudos
MacUser2 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, please ignore that last post because I can now print!!  I tried the link you sent to the HP site, while it looked like the same driver and acted same (i.e. got hung up at 90%), just as I was doing the force quit after about an hour, it finished!  So, THANKS!!

Now, I'm printing but my scanning doesn't work.  In other words, when I open the "HP Scan" utility from my desktop, it says "No Scanners are Available".  

Baby steps... :)

0 Kudos
miarmy421 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

everytime i try to scan it will scan the first 4 pages or so fine but more than that and it stops.  the paper pulls half way into the scanner and stops.  there is no problem with 3 or 4 sheets but after that it does not work.

0 Kudos
disruptiongrey Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After poking around on the internet a bit I ran across a site that got the HP scanner drivers running under Lion. you had to install the drivers as root (Apparently some permissions issue with HP installers in Lion). HP Laserjet 2840 - How to fix scanning in OSX Lion!

Open /Applictions/Utilities/Terminal.app

from Terminal (you won't be able to see the dots as you type your password when prompted

sudo open /Volumes/HP\ LaserJet\ Professional\ M1130-M1210\ MFP\ Series/HP\ LaserJet\ Professional\ M1130-M1210\ MFP\ Series.pkg

Or if you still get the error with the assistant running from the Installer package run the assitant alone. (tip: drag the app into the terminal window after typing "sudo open ").

sudo open /Applications/HP\ LaserJet\ Professional\ M1210\ MFP\ Series/HP\ Setup\ Assistant.app

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation